To My Roommate Who Has Made Life Worth Living

When push turns to shove, I'm thankful that I have you with me through it all.

183
Rachel Mergen

I know I always send you best friend articles, and you may be sick of them, but I thought you deserved one. You deserve a lot more than simply this, but, well, we’re college students and neither of us can afford the long list of wants.

We have each other though, and I cannot thank you enough for that. You are my light on the hardest nights of dealing with our piles of issues. They have become our issues though. Life is a “we” struggle now.

I never planned to meet anyone like you in college. All of freshman year, I felt alone and scared to make real connections with people. I did not know how to be sociable. Naps sounded better than spending time with friends constantly.

But you understand too that naps are great, and I love you for that. I love how we can live together and still text each other constantly with a Snapchat streak going. I never get tired of you, like I get tired of the rest of life. You make life interesting.

I love our baking adventures. I think we’ve spoiled ourselves with the dozens of cupcakes and cakes we’ve made, including our 72 cupcake all-nighter bake-a-thon. I will never be able to forget those nights of distractions, because the calories may never leave my body. Our adventures are honestly forever a part of me.

I enjoy being able to talk to you about anything, from the bad to the good. I like being able to run to you when I do something stupid, especially because the run is actually just a fast walk down the hall and a knock on your bedroom door. You’re always close by, ready to laugh at my mistakes with me, because some of them really do need to just be laughed at.

It’s been a hard year, and I cannot be more thankful that I have you to help me survive it, to grow into the best person possible.

You’re always ready to do something a bit odd with me. You’re ready to go get food with me at random hours. You are up for long drives through the city and becoming quite lost when we thought we knew where we were going. You are supportive of my sudden decisions and cravings, never judging me for any of them.

You were prepared to dye my hair for the first time, even though the only knowledge we had on doing so was YouTube videos. It was also the middle of the night, so our chances weren’t very high for it to turn out well. I think you did fantastic for the situation we were in though. We also did wonderfully at cleaning the hair dye off the bathroom counter, floor, and walls afterwards as we panicked.

I look forward to having you in my future, because I know we have quite a long road ahead of us. I can’t imagine life without you. I do not know who would help make my bad days bright. Even spring break is boring without you by my side.

You are a beautiful woman, and I know you are bound for greatness. I am excited to see your bright future first hand.

Thank you for being an amazing roommate and friend. I could not imagine having anyone else as my go-to, partner in crime.