Roommate and Apartment Things To Keep In Mind

Roommate contact soon to be released. Stay tuned.

71
New Girl

Hi all, welcome back to another segment of Life Advice from a semi-adult. Going off of our little series of moving out and on to better things!

One thing I have realized over the past 4 years of being on my own, is roommates. Roommates are a gift in disguise but if not chosen wisely, they can make or break your college/ internship life. And with roommates comes the semi-fun part. Shopping for the apartment. I know SO EXCITING! This is when it actually feels real that you are on your own. So let us get on the list before you get bored of reading.

The Roommate. Obviously, this is something that is super important. Making sure you have a roommate that you can handle living with for the year. This is someone who's going to be LIVING with you. So not only do you need to like them, but you have to trust them. If you're living with a friend make sure it's someone you don't get sick of, but also someone who you don't mind being without for a while. Once you're living on you're own you tend to spend loads of time together followed by little sprouts of time apart.

If this roommate is someone you have never met before, maybe go and stalk their facebook page, twitter account, and Instagram. It's best if you avoid the girl from the movie The Roommate. We don't need any pets going in the washer. Or psycho obsessive home sharers.

Let me tell you, your mom wasn't wrong when she set rules. Although rules are meant to be broken, it's not a bad idea to set some ground rules. Having work or class early on a Friday morning may require setting rules of no partying on a Thursday night, or if there is to have a quiet time set in place. Along with rules, a good idea is to have a roommate contract. I know it sounds crazy. But honestly, it's not the worst thing. It actually works very nicely. (Roommate application/ contract coming soon. Stay tuned).

The fun part... Chores! HA, not. But making sure the cleaning and the sanitation of your humble abode is split up. As well as being held accountable for your mess. Just be cautious of whats yours and be sure to not be the messy pig of the apartment or house. Let me tell you, fruit flies are 0% fun.

Once you have the roommate, now it's time for some fun. Actually purchasing items for said home and decorating. Now that we have decided on who we are semi-married to for the next year or so, we have to decide how we are going to go about making this new house feel like a home. Although not everyone is going to agree on how the kitchen should be themed or if there should be a tapestry in the living room. You should go forth and make the place as much as a home as possible.

When shopping for my first home, I bought all the things I thought I would be needing. Plates. Cups. Mugs. Mason jars (not for alcoholic bevs mom), silverware, and so on. But there were a few things I had to actually go and grab as soon as I moved in, because little me, wasn't as smart as I had assumed.

For instance, your house does not come supplied with salt and pepper. You start to realize all the little things in your parent's homes, weren't actually just there. You actually have to go to the store and buy Pam and olive oil. Odd how that works right?

Although shopping for your future kitchen and buying the new furniture is all fun and games. The real fun part is FINALLY being able to decorate your room the way you really want to. You can hang things on your walls without being yelled at that you'll rip off the paint, or hang things all over and not worry about those pesky holes. Picking out your bed, choosing all new bedding and giving yourself a theme is by far the most fun thing I think I've ever done. Obviously, as a girl, I think we may take this a little more serious. But it truly is a big deal. It's the location we will spend a large majority of our time, our place that is 100% ours and that we have complete control over. It's the one place that we are truly able to unwind and relax. It's a big freakin deal okay.

Most of the roommate/ home needs are things you have to learn for yourself. I could tell you every little tip and trick and still wouldn't be able to cover it all. Nor would any of you listen to me, since you'll do whatever you please. Similar to what I did myself.

Although, I would love for any bits of advice or you're own tips and trick! Feel free to comment them below for others to read and enjoy, even share your experience with as a first-time adult living on your own!

XOXO