Romantic Relationships Are Not Necessary In Order To Feel Satisfied With Life, I Promise

Romantic relationships are constructed to make us feel fully satisfied with life, when in fact platonic and non-romantic relationships can be just as satisfying.

1546

Have you ever felt pressured to find a romantic partner? Have you ever envied someone for having a healthy romantic relationship? I think it's safe to say we all have at some point.

Love is a beautiful thing; it makes you feel that everything is right in the world and is something many people strive for throughout their lifetime. True love is a goal of many and can be considered a legitament goal as well.

While we long for a love that leaves us feeling safe and secure, it can be so easy to forget about the other relationships in your life that are not romantic. And in some cases, these are the most important relationships we can create and build on.

Platonic relationships are the bonds that are tough to break; the relationships that will be around when your romantic interests come crashing down in front of you. These relationships are the ones that will leave you feeling satisfied and content with the quality of the people you surround yourself with.

With that being said, I have often thought about romantic relationships and how we are somewhat socialized to believe that there is an odd necessity for a romantic relationship in order to finally reach that ultimate happiness that we long for. Im willing to challenge this notion.

Romantic relationships are constructed to make us feel fully satisfied with life, when in fact platonic and non-romantic relationships and friendships can be just as satisfying. Like that one guy friend you play video games with, or that girl friend you sip wine with on wednesdays. These friends have a priceless position in our lives; a position that I believe cannot be fulfilled with a romantic relationship.

Disclaimer: My purpose is not to discredit romantic relationships; having been romantically involved with several people has shown me the beauty of love in its purest forms. I also learned very quickly how draining an unhealthy romantic relationship is as well.

Further, being single has also taught me and shown me the true benefits of non-romantic relationships and I've been able to connect with people in ways that I wasn't able to while being involved in a romantic relationship. The two dynamics are both so different, so beneficial, and so fulfilling.

A pure romantic connection that comes naturally isn't always that easy to find, which is why I am strongly advocating for platonic friendships to fill your heart with love and belly full of laughs until a romantic partner enters your life. Plus, you can learn so much about the gender you are attracted to through these relationships: how guys work, how girls work, etc.

Having a variety of relationships with differing dynamics is what keeps life fun and interesting! Love and soulmates can often be found within these non-romantic relationships too; a seemingly, everlasting unconditional love.

It's important to know the value of yourself and the quality of the people you surround yourself with, romantic or not. Life is truly beautiful and we should try our hardest to fill it with beautiful people as well.