15 Overlooked Romantic Movies To Watch This February

Romantic Comedies and Dramas Galore

76

There are multiple romantic movies and some become infamous such as The Notebook. However, there are some love stories that aren't as popular or are found in movies that aren't considered romances. Here are 15 movies that are sometimes overlooked as great romantic stories. Warning, there are possible spoilers for some of them.

Atonement (2007)

Atonement is a drama about two lovers named Cecilia (Kiera Knightly) and Robbie (James McAvoy) who get torn apart due to a lie that Cecilia's younger sister created. All of them must deal with the consequences and you continue to hope that the two reunite and young Briony (Saoirse Ronan) makes it up to them for lying and splitting them apart. Be ready for some tears with this one.

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Call Me By Your Name is an independent film that got amazing reviews and awards. It features Armie Hammer as Oliver and the rising star Timothee Chalamet. Elio and Oliver meet in Italy when Oliver works as an intern with Elio's father. The two share an amazing summer and the film has such a beautiful scenery and an amazing soundtrack. The dialogue and connection between the two is astounding.

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

This one is a little more known but should be recognized more as a great romantic comedy. Kat (Julia Stiles) is a teen who doesn't want to conform to normalities and meets Patrick Verona (Heath Ledger). When Kat's younger sister wants to date, a deal is struck and puts Patrick in Kat's path. This film is funny, witty and edgy. Also, who couldn't love a movie that features Heath Ledger?

A Ghost Story

Gfycat

A Ghost Story is about a husband and wife. The husband passes away suddenly and returns to their home as a ghost. Throughout the film he watches the life he knew and the woman he loves grieve over the loss of her husband. This is a sad but beautiful film.

My Own Private Idaho (1991)

My Own Private Idaho is about a gay hustler who has narcolepsy named Mike Waters (River Phoenix) who befriends Scott Favor (Keanu Reeves) a rebellious son of the mayor. The two travel together in search for Mikes estranged mother. This film is more of an unrequited love story as Mike and Scott grow closer and Mike begins to feel more than friendship.

Remember Me (2010)

Tyler (Robert Pattinson) becomes rebellious and troubled after a family tragedy and being estranged from his father. He meets Ally (Emilie de Ravin) and falls in love with her and tries to find his happiness. This film is very overlooked and is a sweet love story that shows some impressive acting from Pattinson.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. is about a CIA agent Napoleon Solo (Henry Cavill) and a KGB agent Illya Kuryakin (Armie Hammer) who are forced to work together. Their only lead is the daughter of a German Scientist named Gaby. Although this is more of an action film, Illya and Gaby's connection is adorable and although the audience never get to see them be together, their connection creates more chemistry than you see in other romance movies.

Love, Simon (2018)

Gfycat

Simon Spier (Nick Robinson) hasn't told his family or friends that he is gay and has fallen for an anonymous classmate online who relates to how he feels. During his path to tell his friends and family and also find the anonymous classmate creates a cute romantic comedy that deserves a lot of recognition.

Benny & Joon (1993)

Benny (Aidan Quinn) cares for his mentally ill sister Joon (Mary Stuart Masterson) and also takes in Sam (Johnny Depp) as a nanny. Once Benny realizes Joon and Sam started a relationship, he kicks him out of the house and creates a riff between him and his sister. The film shows a cute relationship between two equally strange and quirky people.

The Fifth Element (1997)

Gfycat

The Fifth Element is a futuristic film about a cab driver named Korben Dallas (Bruce Willis) who finds that the fate of the world is in his hands after he meets LeeLoo (Mila Jovovich) who is the fifth element. The two work together to destroy the Great Evil and race against the evil Zorg (Gary Oldman). The two create a great love story of their own during the witty futuristic action film.

Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Gfycat

Brokeback Mountain is about a cowboy named Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) and a rancher named Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) who are hired as sheep herders and the two connect. After their job they go their separate ways, get married and raise separate families. However, the two keep up with their affair occasionally over the course of 20 years. This is a very heartbreaking film but the acting and the connection is impressive.

Peter Pan (2003)

The live action Peter Pan made in 2003 follows the original story of Pan meeting Wendy and taking her and her brothers to Neverland. However, this film specifically has a bigger connection between Peter Pan (Jeremy Sumpter) and Wendy (Rachel Hurd-Wood). It is one of the cutest remakes of Peter Pan.

Lucky Day (2019)

TheSceneMagazine

After Red (Luke Bracey) is released from prison, he needs to protect his family from a psychopathic killer who is seeking revenge against him. This film is more of a gory crime/action film but Red and Chloe (Nina Dobrev) have an adorable relationship and a lot of respect for each other that creates a relationship goal.

Inventing the Abbotts (1997)

Inventing the Abbotts is based in the 1950s and is about two brothers Jacey (Billy Crudup) and Doug Holt (Joaquin Phoenix) who come from the poorer side of their town and have affections for the wealthy Abbott sisters. Jacey alternates between two of the sisters, looking to break the hearts of the rich women. However, Doug has eyes for the youngest sister Pamela (Liv Tyler) and wants a real romance which is looked down by both Jacey and the Abbotts family.

Flipped (2010)

Wattpad

Flipped is a cute drama about two kids named Bryce and Juli. In the beginning, Juli falls for Bryce but it is not reciprocated. Bryce becomes annoyed and keeps Juli at a distance. Then the tables "flip" and after six years Bryce begins to fall for Juli while Juli begins to lose those feelings.

I hope you enjoyed this list of films that create great connections between two people. Whether the love story is unrequited or reciprocated, they are sweet and heart-wrenching. I hope you had a good Valentines Day and a great rest of your February. Make sure to check out these love stories!