I Don't Want To Take The Road Typically Traveled, And That's OK

Where's the fun in ordinary, anyway?

2665
Cassie Thorson

Ever since I can remember, I’ve had the biggest dreams. As a little girl, never once did I desire to be a princess. Instead of having every little girl’s dream, I had plans far bigger and beyond anything my five-year-old self could fathom.

Over the years, the end goal of my career has changed drastically, expanding from as far from an archaeologist to a DJ, but one thing that has remained constant throughout the chaos is knowing I wasn’t going to wake up and do the same thing as I did before.

I wasn’t going to dread my alarm every time it went off in the morning, I wasn’t going to experience the mid-life crisis of questioning if I took the right path. I wasn’t ever going to wonder if I did enough, or if the one life I have been given was lived in the best way I could.

But most importantly, I knew I wasn’t going to be satisfied taking the safe road, the life that’s guaranteed. If I want to live an extraordinary life, I would have to take the crazy steps to get there; I would have to move mountains anyone else would be scared to even climb.

So, where does that leave me today? This leaves me taking on eighteen college credits and trying to squeeze in serving shifts, all while trying to maintain my mental sanity. I’m living the typical college student life, every single day. I’m living the life I told myself for so long I never wanted, yet it’s the only life I have any idea how to live.

But, it’s definitely not the life I will end with.

If there is one thing I can be sure about my myself, it's that if I want something bad enough, I will stop at nothing to make it happen. While in the past, that tactic has gotten me into plenty of trouble, I am confident I will one day have the capabilities to use my determination to my advantage and that’s when I’ll grow from being a dreamer to becoming a doer.