The Road Not Taken

The Road Not Taken

Thank you Robert Frost.

165
Sueddie

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

...

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost wrote the poem above called "The Road Not Traveled" and I didn't fully grasp it until recently.

The way I interpreted this poem was that the author was having a sigh of relief, that he was happy he strayed away from the crowd. I have always had the fear of missing out and deep down I wanted to be like everyone else but that is not the person I am. I am not someone who follows along with the crowd. I do things the way I think that I should. I am not the average college kid. I work two jobs go to school twice a week, yes I am a full time student, and I live at home. I used to be afraid I was missing out on parties and drinking but now I am afraid I am missing out on much more than that. I am afraid that I will miss out on traveling and learning because I am wrapped up in other things,

I took the road less traveled by. I work and study and keep to myself. I skip class because I believe I deserve to sit on the beach instead. I am not afraid to call out of work to go to a concert because I am not afraid to do what it takes to make myself happy.

In my opinion, the road less traveled by is the road where you go to make yourself happy. Normally, we are on the road to school and work and responsibility. It makes all the difference when you begin to realize it is okay to make yourself happy. I thought the road less traveled by was the road you took when you are different from everyone else. I am now beginning to see that the road less traveled is the road you take that allows you to fully be yourself and make yourself happy.

The road less traveled by is beautiful, drama-free, and the only road I want to be on.