Risks of Traveling During the Pandemic

Risks of Traveling During the Pandemic

Traveling during the COVID-19 pandemic has other risks apart from getting infected with Coronavirus.

4
airport

Since the COVID-19 virus started to spread, countries around the world have established bans, rules, and safety precautions to slow the infection rate in their country. Airlines and cruises have canceled their routes and enforced strict health measures to protect their employees and customers from an infection. Traveling during the pandemic is not recommended, but if you are, you should be aware of the different risks you may face during your trip.

COVID-19 Infection

One of the biggest risks if you're planning on traveling during the pandemic is getting infected with COVID-19. Although many tourist destinations have strict policies to prevent an infection, you will be in contact with many people during your trip. The risk of an infection also depends on your traveling method, traveling alone in your own car can be less risky than flying or using tour buses.

When booking a hotel room or Airbnb, check the safety protocols they're following before making any reservations, primarily if they're constantly cleaning and disinfecting rooms and common areas and if the staff is required to wear protective equipment. Some health and safety measures hotels are taking include, mandatory use of face masks in lobbies and other common areas and temporarily closing common areas such as buffets, conference rooms, and gyms. To reduce the risk of an infection during your vacation make sure you're always wearing a face mask, take the stairs instead of an elevator, avoid areas where you can't practice social distancing, avoid tourist attractions with large crowds, and use your own transportation when possible.

Airplane Accident

Although an airplane accident is very rare, it's still one of the risks you take when flying. Statistics from an aviation consultancy show that there were 86 commercial airplane accidents in 2019. However, aviation accident experts describe that when airplane accidents do occur, they involve more people and cause more fatalities and injuries than motor vehicle accidents. This is a minor risk we all take when traveling by airplane.

Flights Being Rescheduled or Canceled

During the pandemic, some airlines are canceling routes or constantly changing their flight schedules. Before booking a flight make sure you consider unexpected delays or cancellations in your itinerary. Make sure you understand your airline's return policy in case you wish to cancel or reschedule your vacation or if the airline cancels your route or flight.

Tourist Destinations Closed or Restricted

Before booking a flight ticket or a hotel room, make sure you check if your destination is accepting tourists. Many European countries such as Spain, Italy, and France have banned American tourists from entering the country in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Research if the top tourist attractions are open to the public or if there are certain safety protocols you need to consider before visiting.

Traveling during the pandemic is not recommended but if you'll be traveling, try to do so with all the necessary safety precautions. Make sure you do thorough research one very aspect involved during your trip to minimize the risk of getting COVID-19 and to enjoy your vacation as safely as possible.