The Risk Management Chair: What It's Really Like

5693

We all know that TSM is the holy grail of sorority newsites, I read their work every day myself. But you can’t believe everything you read on there. I know, I know; being a sorority girl, I shouldn’t diss the most perfect sorority forum on earth, right? Wrong. I’m going for it.

You see articles all the time about the Risk Management Chair sneaking off to a corner to take shots because she can’t be head sober sister while she’s sober, or other things like that. I am here to tell you all that it is absolutely possible to be a sober sister every time your sorority has a mixer. How do I know this, you may ask? Well, I’ve been doing it for the past nine months, and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Let me start by explaining exactly what I do for those of you who aren't familiar with Greek life. The Risk Management Chair is responsible for making sure that the girls of the sorority are safe and responsible while they are out mixing with a fraternity, and for making sure that all the girls have a safe ride home at the end of the night.

Last November, I was nominated to take the Risk Management position for my sorority. Later that same month, I was voted into my position. Most people don’t really want to take a position in which you are required to stay sober at every social function, and being a bit of a party girl my freshmen year, I was a little skeptical about it. I thought to myself, am I going to be comfortable with being one of the few sober people at a party, or is it going to be awkward?

I thought about it, and came to the realization that my sisters wanted me to have this position; if they have faith in me, I should have faith in myself as well. I was going to get to make sure all my amazing sisters stayed safe on the weekends. I realized, I have already been doing that. I am the girl who makes sure everyone gets home, no matter what shape I’m in. This was going to be perfect for me. I jumped head-first into the position when was elected, even though I didn’t technically start my term until January. I revamped our entire selection process for DDs and sober sisters, making it fair for everyone. I was beyond ready to take on my responsibilities when we came back from break.

The first few times we mixed in the spring semester were a little awkward for me, since I had to explain to everyone that I was not a party girl anymore; I was the mom now. I didn’t take the drinks everyone offered just to knock the nerves away. The more we went out, the more I observed and realized that I actually loved staying sober at mixers. Not only was I able to keep track of all of my sisters and make sure everyone was safe, I was also able to form different bonds with more girls.

Once you team up to sober sister with someone, you two have a new appreciation for each other. Someone always needs one of us to walk somewhere with them, or find another person for them, or track down their lost items. It’s like you are both in a million places at once, and it’s hilarious. The girl you sober sister with for the night is like your partner in crime. Being head sober sister, I have had the chance to partner up with almost every girl in my sorority for an entire night and get to know her on a new level. At the end of each of these nights, when I put all the girls in cars with DDs and made sure that the fraternity men we were with also made it home safely, I always remembered that this was the perfect job for me.

Over the last nine months, I have spent ridiculous amounts of money on gas for numerous late nights out that turned into early mornings out. Whether it was driving people back and forth across town, chauffeuring my girls when they didn’t want to stay at the official mixer, or 3 a.m. food runs–I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

My sisters are my family, and I am honored that they have let me take on the responsibility of keeping them safe.