RIP Vine: A Goodbye To The Short, But Definitely Sweet, Video Sharing Platform

Vine’s six seconds of social media fame.

28
Le Meme

The current challenge to produce split second, unique, and eye catching social media content has become increasingly competitive. We, as consumers, are inundated with massive amounts of information daily, so that when we choose which content to pay attention to, it must be short and sweet. This is a concept that the application, Vine, revolutionized. Vine was a pioneer in creating the quick 6 second looping video sharing platform that allowed some users to attain worldwide fame. Hey Shawn Mendes, what’s up?

However, being the innovator of this unique experience for consumers did not guarantee it would remain relevant and integral for the long haul. On Thursday October 27, 2016 Twitter, who bought Vine in 2012 before it even launched, announced hundreds of layoffs. Twitter revealed that its quarterly earnings were better than expected and that monthly active members usage numbers were up. This should make most people question why Twitter made the decision to shut the Vine app down. Unfortunately, it eventually became clear that Twitter was no longer interested in supporting separate apps. With the new addition of Periscope being integrated and view-able directly on Twitter’s social network, Twitter could no longer justify the costs and manpower necessary for Vine.

After hearing the initial statement released from Twitter, thousands of Vine users flocked to the app to share videos that reflected their sentiments and dismay on the end of the Vine app era. The most notable of those users dubbed “Vine stars” now have name recognition and a following. A good number of these "Vine stars" owe their entertainment success to the app. Logan Paul landed various roles on TV dramas and small parts in feature films, Cameron Dallas now stars in his own Netflix original show, Lele Pons published a popular novel and will be featured in Blink 182’s latest music video, Brittany Furlan is an established social media influencer and comedian, just to name a few. And who could forget Billboard's Hot 100 pop star, Shawn Mendes, who earned his first fan base on Vine.

Users who have been dedicated to the short form, looping video app are certainly sad to see it go. It was a place where they could interact and make connections to people they have never met. It was a place where you could go for a quick 6 six second laugh to improve your day. It was also a place where there was a sense of community among fellow Viners. This will be hard to replace.

In spite of Vine’s success, we learned that a even devoted community may not be enough in today's economy to keep an app online when it is part of a publicly traded company.

From one loyal Vine member to another, we will miss you.
R.I.P Vine.