​Ringing In The New Year: Why I Don’t Need To Kiss Someone At Midnight

It's better to make a new tradition to start off the new year.

64

Don’t get me wrong -- if you have that special someone you are prepared to kiss this New Year's Eve, by all means, please proceed with your plans accordingly.

However, for those of you who are single and find yourself with a sudden pang of unease at the mention of a New Year’s Eve kiss or at the thought finding someone to kiss when the clock strikes midnight, I want to assure you that there is no need to worry.

The tradition to kiss someone at midnight on New Year's Eve is a long-standing superstition said to bring luck to your love life. "Kiss someone at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve and you will have a year of luck in love," writes Joanne Wannan in her book "Kisstory: A Sweet and Sexy Look at the History of Kissing".

I believe this is a very harmless, sweet superstition, but in the end, that is all that it is -- a superstition. Instead of scrambling to find someone to kiss this New Year’s Eve, focus on making those first few moments of the new year all about you. Surround yourself with people you love and enjoy those first few moments of the New Year without the stress of locking lips for “a year of luck in love.”

Truth is, love is going to find you regardless of who you do (or do not) kiss this New Year’s Eve.

Plus, not kissing someone on NYE is a far better option than risking the chance of locking lips with some complete rando who may or may not have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

There's no doubt the NYE kiss can be a fun, innocent New Year’s Eve tradition, but if you don’t have that special someone to kiss at the stroke of midnight, do not fret. Your love life will not suffer and you will be just fine. I promise.

The start of a new year is the perfect opportunity for a bit of self-reflection and a fresh start. So this year, ditch the stress of this long-standing cliché and start your own NYE tradition, one that celebrates the beautiful, unique individual you are. This year, when the ball drops, try making a silent dedication to yourself for the new year. Whatever you think of, make this moment about you and the great year ahead, not some silly superstition.