The New Normal: Virtual Babysitting

The New Normal: Virtual Babysitting

Interact with children virtually to fill the COVID-19 childcare gap.

13
children-593313_1920.jpg
Pixabay.com

During the COVID-19 pandemic many parents have struggled a considerable amount with child care. Not only are schools online now, but many summer camps and other child care options have been cancelled. Many parents are now juggling working their full-time jobs from home while simultaneously watching their kids. Virtual babysitting is the creative solution that encourages online interaction to fill the COVID-19 childcare gap.

So, if you're a college student like myself you should look into virtual babysitting.

On many websites you can find opportunities for virtual babysitting. I was actually very surprised when I looked on a babysitting platform and saw TONS of parents in need of virtual help. I know, it sounds...odd. So, let me give you the run down. Basically, as a virtual babysitter you would be hired to connect with a child over a video chat platform for a short amount of time each day. The time of this babysitting engagement is suggested to be short, so that both parties stay engaged during the interaction. The premise of online babysitting is to give parents a break and entertain kids. During this short period of time the babysitter is typically expected to have a plan of activities that can be completed virtually to engage the child. Examples of possible activities include charades, alphabet games, or even asking thoughtful questions. As a virtual babysitter you may also be asked to help children with their schoolwork, which can be accomplished through screen sharing functions.

The new normal of virtual babysitting does present some challenges. It can be difficult to keep a child's attention through a computer screen and it can also be difficult to help if a technological issue unexpectedly arises. These are among some of the issues that virtual babysitters must overcome, but at the end of the day this option is helping pave a path for the future and is filling the gap in much needed childcare during COVID.

Virtual babysitting is an innovative solution that can help parents and kids alike during these unprecedented times. The virtual nature of this engagement allows both parents and babysitters to find arrangements without geographic constraints. It provides social interaction to kids and gives parents some time to focus on themselves or their jobs. If you're interested in trying it out, don't hesitate!