A Review Of Stranger Things

A Review Of Stranger Things

The show has been rising in popularity and I'm completely on board with it.

12
A Review Of Stranger Things

Like many people this summer, I've taken to spending a lot of my time using Netflix to browse for new shows. I've gotten into "Prison Break," re-watched a bunch of "Psych" episodes and have tried a few interesting anime titles. However, of all the shows I've watched this summer, the one that I am most excited about is "Stranger Things." The premise of the show is that a little boy goes missing and, while searching for him, his family and friends experience, you guessed it, stranger things. The show has been rising in popularity and I'm completely on board with it. However, there are two specific things that I really enjoyed about this eight-episode Netflix original.

The first would be the fact that for a majority of the show, we follow three separate points of view from the kids, the teenagers and the adults. Without giving much away, the kids' point of view played like an adventure, complete with a "lost knight" and a "proud princess." The teenagers' seemed more like a supernatural horror, with good old-fashioned teenage romance sprinkled in. The adults' story was straight up uncovering a government conspiracy. Yet all these just so happen to be the same story, and I thought that was pretty awesome.

The second thing I liked about this show was how the kids were portrayed. More often than not, I feel like children aren't taken seriously in shows. They're treated just as too young or immature, and unfortunately come off as annoying in my opinion. Not in "Stranger Things." The show displays the children as actual people, if that makes sense, giving them whole ranges of emotion and completely fleshed out personalities. And while of course, the creators of the show are to be given credit, we can't forget to applaud the talent of the actors. Finn Wolfhard as Mike, Caleb McLaughlin as Lucas, Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin and last but certainly not least, Millie Bobby Brown as Eleven were phenomenal and, in my opinion, made the show the success that it is.

I know summer's coming to an end, but I highly encourage all of you to check out "Stranger Things" on Netflix.