A Review on Moana

A Review on Moana

Who knew Disney could make a film without a love interest?

30
A Review on Moana
AMC Theatres

Who knew there could be a Disney movie where the princess doesn't end up with love? In Disney's latest princess movie Moana, the main character, Moana doesn't have a love interest at all. Moana Waialiki is drawn to the sea her whole life but she is told to never explore the sea from mostly her father and the island because it's dangerous. Her father is the chief and she is an only child, making her eventually become the next chief.

She later finds out that she is from a long line of navigators. When her island's fishermen can't catch any fish and the crops fails, she learns that the demigod Maui caused the chaos by stealing the heart of the goddess, Te Fiti. The only way to heal Moana's island is to persuade Maui to return Te Fiti's heart. Moana then sets off to help her island.

Compared to other Disney movies this movie has a completely different plot. Most Disney princess movies revolve around the princess ending up with a prince and from beginning to end the princess meets the prince, has a conflict with him and then they end up together. I think this movie did a great job at making sure the plot wasn't revolved around Moana finding a husband.

The body standards are also different in this movie rather than others. Moana doesn't have a very slim waist and wears long gowns. She doesn't fit societies standards of what a perfect body should look like. This is important for young girls who may be watching this to realize they don't have to be incredibly skinny to be beautiful.

The visuals are very well done due to technical advancements and makes it seem more realistic. The visuals for the island look very much like an actual island in Hawaii with the plants and the light blue color of the ocean. The animals in the movie are also accurate to the animals that are in Hawaii, such as pigs and chickens.

The musical score for the movie was written by Lin-Manual Miranda who also wrote the score for Hamilton did an incredible job on the music for Moana. In the song How Far I'll Go there is a key change that would make anyone who knows anything about music happy. The instrumental songs are very well written and Auli'i Cravalho (Moana) and Dwayne Johnson have very good voices for their characters.

Overall I would recommend this movie to any one who loves adventure, humor and Disney.