A Review Of The Motley Crue Biopic: 'The Dirt'

On March 22, Netflix released "The Dirt", a biopic based on the book of the rock band Motley Crue. Motley Crue was most active in the 1980s, hailing from the streets of Hollywood with hits such as "Home Sweet Home" and "Girls, Girls, Girls". This biopic gave a front seat to detailing their lives of sex and drugs while giving the rock'n'roll a bit of a backseat.

"The Dirt" is to Motley Crue what "The Wolf of Wall Street" is to Jordan Belfort: an account with all of the most scandalous moments at the forefront. Some unforgettable moments detailed in "The Dirt" include Nikki Sixx's resurrection after he overdosed on heroin, Vince Neil's vehicular manslaughter of Hanoi Rocks' drummer, Razzle, and Ozzy Osborne snorting ants. Between quick sex scenes of several of the band members either with groupies or another band member's girlfriend, onstage rock moments were peppered in. They are after all a band, but their notoriety for hard-living is what really made them Motley Crue. There were some emotional scenes meant to give more depth to the bandmates such as Nikki Sixx's absent father and negligent mother, Neil's daughter dying of childhood cancer, and Mars daily struggle with Ankylosing Spondylitis. While these real-life events are tragic and emotional, the lack of screen time dedicated makes these struggles seemingly unimportant. With so much turmoil in each of the band member's lives, this movie could've actually been poignant if they gave more focus to the serious life dilemmas each was afflicted with. Unlike Queen in "Bohemian Rhapsody", Motley Crue doesn't have the musical clout to explore the musicality and depth of their work. "Bohemian Rhapsody", like many music biopics, focused primarily on the music and creativity with the personal lives and moderate scandal of the band sprinkled in. Motely Crue instead was portrayed only as scandalous, reckless musicians, rather than an artistic music force.

If the purpose of the biopic was to portray Motley Crue as the wildest, sexist group of troubled men in rock, then it was greatly achieved. "The Dirt", while lacking substance, is a quality shock-value watch if you want a movie about excess and consequences.