Return To 'Twin Peaks': A Long Awaited Comeback Story

Picking up a third season following 'Twin Peaks'' 25-year hiatus.
14

Not too many shows get a comeback story for only garnering two seasons under their belt, but for "Twin Peaks" the chance has struck. Call it luck, but unlike many short-lived television projects, "Twin Peaks" stands as a one-of-a-kind gem gaining fame as a cult classic series for its zany characters, peculiar sequences, and one mysterious murder unfolding hidden secrets within a Northwestern town.

Over twenty years have passed since the showed ended in 1991 due to dwindling ratings. Yet, fans of the original series have latched onto the ominous musings of the series since its premature end leading to creators David Lynch and Mark Frost’s recent revival of the hit suspense show on "Showtime." Fans can look forward to watching some of the original cast such as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper played by Kyle Maclachlan, Madchen Amick as waitress Shelly Johnson, and Russ Tamblyn as Dr. Lawrence Jacoby. New faces have also been woven into the fabric of the revival series with actors such as Michael Cera, Naomi Watts, Eddie Vedder, Amanda Seyfried, Matthew Lillard, and Jim Belushi just to name a few.

Though "Twin Peaks" ended as a series in the early '90s, a film titled "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me "was released as a horror film in 1992. According to Lynch, the revival will include the details from the film as a part of the continuation of the eerily strange and anomalous "Twin Peaks: The Return. "

As for binge-worthy summer shows, I highly recommend catching up on the original "Twin Peaks" on Netflix before diving into the revival series. Understanding the offbeat characters, singular dynamics, and memorable dream sequence will allow audiences to truly appreciate the craftsmanship of such an influential show. A show worthy of resuscitation and a brand new generation of audiences to admire its enigmatic charm. Every episode is tinged with that subtle, jazzy sleuthing music reminiscent of sultry, noir pictures where characters deep in thought wear tipped hats that cast shadows over their eyes and smoke ringlets dance circles around a beautiful seductress. If there is any excuse to spend a few days on the couch watching Netflix from dusk to dawn, "Twin Peaks" is the way to go. There are only two seasons and once you’ve started a black hole of paradoxical questions pulls you in until you’ve found the answers. To me, that makes for good television.