6 Resume Building Tips

6 Resume Building Tips

For when building your resume becomes a chore.

3
6 Resume Building Tips
Resume Solution Professionals

The dreaded resume. Most people write their resumes like it is a chore. It is something that they know they are supposed to do, but it is not always something they want to work on. Resumes are meant to help you stand out from a crowd, but how are you supposed to make that happen when you feel forced into writing it? Here are a few tips to help get you started and help you shine.

Experience:

Experience is not just limited to paid positions. If you were an unpaid intern or have had a major role in volunteer work, you still have the experience in it. Put details with the most recent or relevant positions.

References:

It is pretty standard to put "References available upon request" centered at the bottom. For an interview, you can have a separate piece of paper with your references to be given if asked.

Bold Wording:

Some people scan over documents and look for things that stand out while others like to read the details. Having this mix helps. Use bold print for important information you don't want someone to miss if they are only scanning for key points.

Personal:

Don't include personal information or hobbies and activities unless they are relevant to why you are making your resume. You can always use it as conversation during your interview, but it does not need to take up space on your resume.

Wording:

Avoid using lazy wording, but at the same time do not use wording you do not understand. By changing the words too much, you can give it a different meaning altogether.

Be Original:

You don't want to give a resume that is formatted the exact same way the past four have been. While you don't need to get carried away, there are small things you can do to spice up your resume.