Rest in Peace, Vine.

Rest in Peace, Vine.

May your virtual soul reach virtual heaven.

49
Rest in Peace, Vine.
http://illuminatesdf.com

Everyone remembers the day MySpace died to make room for Facebook and how eBaum’s World was taken out by YouTube, and now Vine has finally been devoured by Instagram in one of the most devastating days of the entire year (and that's saying a lot considering it's 2016.)

I think everyone assumes that everything on the Internet will stay there forever, especially because of all the internet safety talks we had to listen to in elementary/middle school, but Vine is just another example of how nothing online truly lasts forever unless people are there to care about it.

The early days of Vine were fantastic. It helped me discover Bo Burnham, Thomas Sanders, and Cody Ko, just to name a few. People were dedicated to making genuinely funny content on a shoe-string budget. The editing was quick and simple, and the shortness of the videos inspired people to think, “how can I can I get my point across in 6 seconds?”

Semi stayed automatic, the duck army raged on, a little girl smelled like beef, and a guy was “back at it again at Krispy Kreme.” Vines made us laugh, question, and inspire others. I mean, pop-sensation Shawn Mendez was discovered through Vine for goodness sakes!

But, like all good things, in early 2015 (and some claim even earlier) the app took a turn for the worse.

People bored with the app left, 90% of the videos came from WorldStarHipHop, and the Viners left either spent way too much money on creating mediocre content with dumb sound effects or went into Hollywood and stopped making vines altogether (Logan Paul, KingBach, Josh Peck, etc.)

But even when things were at it worst, there were still those precious moments that kept us watching. Regular people would emerge for their 6 seconds of fame, and we loved them for it. While others stayed, many drifted into YouTube and Instagram where longer videos were possible, and therefore had more time for creativity.

This left Vine in a bit of a predicament; either keep the 6-second format, or evolve. They chose the add a longer video feature, but by then, it was too late. Vine announced it plans to shut down months after the new update.

Am I sad about this news? Absolutely. Some of my favorite memories are my best friends and I sitting on the couch watching endless vines and laughing to the point of tears. I knew this day would be inevitable. I think we all knew, but no one wanted to admit it.

Vine reminds us of the mortality of all things, digital and in real life. Someday we will all die, and the things we created won't matter the way it used to. Every website will be deleted or fade into oblivion and videos that went viral will be forgotten, but we'll always remember how much happiness all these creations brought us and became an intricate part of our pop culture.

Just like a breakup, the pain will sting at first, but time will heal us. We won't look back in anger at how things ended, we'll only remember the good times, just like we always do.

Maybe Vine will pull a Hostess and reemerge due to popular demand, but if not, let us just be thankful for all the memories we made, the dumb videos we shot, and the 3 great years this incredible platform gave us.

RIP VINE

2013-2016