A Response To Marylou's Coffee

A Response To Marylou's Coffee

Maybe the best coffee, but certainly not the best treatment in town.

773
A Response To Marylou's Coffee
Google

You would think that after my last article, when all I had to say about Marylou's was nothing but nice things, that it was a pretty good place. You would think that a place like that cared, had respect for its workers and believed accidents and or mistakes happen. Well, I was wrong.

Before I begin, I would like to thank my co-workers and my friends I have made at Marylou's throughout the years for all the memories you have given me. You are all my friends still and forever, and you bet I will still be coming in to visit. I will miss you all, and the smile on Jay's face when I give him his large iced Milky Whey everyday. You guys are what made coming to work everyday so great, and remember, smiles are free. I am just reflecting on how I believe the company was unprofessional and my personal experience that has lead everyone to be shocked of my letting go.

You would not believe the irony that after my last article was posted Monday praising my wonderful job at Marylou's Coffee, and how much I loved working there and my pure excitement for working yet another busy Summer there — that the next day I would learn I had an appointment at the main office and I had to call them. Why would this be? Have I done something wrong? Certainly not I thought, for I have worked there for three years without even a complaint, no issues whatsoever. Yet again, I thought wrong.

I usually work about five or six days a week, almost as much as and sometimes more than the full-time employees — a college girl just trying to get by. Little did I know my 10 shifts for the next two weeks were covered. All this shock in one day, no chance to defend accusations being brought against me, and no one even telling me what I did wrong. Marylou's decided to be even more professional *insert sarcastic tone* and make me wait from Tuesday all the way until Friday to get any answers. An employee of three years, waiting around with no shifts, no pay and no answers.

Is this how they treat their loyal employees? The head of security may not have seen me notice him pointing and mocking me to the real Marylou herself, when I was awaiting my unknown fate in the waiting room. I see him point and mouth "That's her," as if being me was a bad thing to be in that situation. I have covered numerous amounts of shifts, due to sick employees and honestly just to do favors. I was the "go to" employee as it was stated when I finally had my meeting on Friday. I had no idea why I was being called in still, totally oblivious to what was going on. Little did I know, I was walking into the appointment when I would ultimately end up being let go.

My friend and family reading this will be shocked — I loved my job, I loved my co-workers, I loved the regulars who came in everyday, but that is all gone now. The reason as to why I was fired as caused fellow employees to say "that is ridiculous! how can they do that?! this is not fair at all!" My supervisor who fired me did love to mention "how sweet and kind my article about Marylou's was," but yeah you're fired. I sat astonished, I was not even shown the "evidence" they had against me as to why I was being let go. I was supposedly seen on tapes giving away a free coffee, nothing I would ever do and my fellow employees know that as well. When I asked to see these tapes and the "proof" against me, I was bullied and yelled at by the head of security. "We caught you, there is no accusation because we saw you, admit you did it, you know you are caught, you cannot see anything You. Are. Fired." And yes to clarify, I lost my job of three years for supposedly giving away a singular coffee; please pick up your jaw and realize how shocked I was as well.

The words being said to me stung and I couldn't even open my mouth to speak; I just kept getting yelled at. I waited three days and had no idea what I was going in for, the last thing I thought it would be is me ending up without a job. I just kept trying to assure it was a mistake whatever it was, an accident. I have never been in trouble before. It must all be a misunderstanding. That must be the reason why there was a line for this office outside, they were bringing us in like cattle to slaughter us — one by one, firing about five employees in a day like it was no big deal.

Other people in this situation have received a warning, and are told "this better not happen again" — a second chance. Well the first time ever being in trouble in three years, I did not get a second chance, I did not even get to see the reason as to why I was being fired. My friends know that I would not do what I was accused of, and yes bullying man screaming at me, it is an accusation. How funny is it you do not even get to see the reason why you are being fired from your job, you are just told it is what it is. Never in three years was I written up, in trouble or even warned — I always did what I was supposed to and my fellow workers know it. Even more ironic is that I was not even supposed to work that Saturday shift that got me fired, yet again I was covering someone and doing what I always do — favors. I still had the courtesy however, to shake my supervisors hand and thank her, the head of security on the other hand, sprung from his seat and left the room. He could not even look me in the eye, or treat me like I was a human being. He was just there to bully me and make sure I got fired. I worked my butt of for years, and this is how I am repaid?

I hope you see this article just like you saw the other, and see how appreciative I am for your decision of letting me go, because it honestly may be the best thing to ever happen to me. I gave up a summer internship to continue working for you, and that was silly of me. My future does not belong to Marylou's and I have much better plans for my future than to spend my time, effort and loyalty there. I gave you three years of my life, and I am happy to say I do not owe you a single more. I hope you continue to read my articles and see where I go in the future, because it certainly will not be Marylou's Coffee — there are thousands of better places to work other than there.