Yes, Trump is President; No, I Will Not 'Get Over It'

Maybe it’s not us that needs to get over it but you that should open your eyes.

31
CNN

I am constantly told, by those who heavily support Trump, to “get over it” because I don’t support him. I recently read an article titled Donald Trump is President, Get Over It. The article felt more like an insult towards those who don’t agree or support him, instead of an article of reasons why we should “get over it." What follows is my response to this piece and this flawed mentality that people should simply "get over" what they don't believe in.

The article in question asks this: "whatever happened to the gung-ho "stand together" and "hope" attitude that was shoved down everyone's throat during Obama's Presidency?" I’ll tell you where it went and what happened to it. It went away. The “hope” that was "shoved down everyone's throat" and printed on every shirt and hat in America was there to provide the American people with the HOPE, during the recession and during a time of high unemployment rates, that it would subside and be resolved. Which, with the help of “socialist” Obama, it did. This hope then became Forward, which meant with the decreasing of the unemployment rates and the recession being over, we should continue to move forward with improving the country's economy. With the election of Trump, this hope disappeared.

It seems every time Donald Trump is criticized for his actions, the name Hillary Clinton is mentioned, usually followed by a comment about her husband Bill Clinton and his scandals. You may not realize this, but they are two different people. That was Bill Clinton’s scandal, not Hillary’s. Donald Trump is involved in plenty of scandals, both before and during his few months of presidency to date. This includes the ongoing Russian scandal that is said to be “bigger than Watergate” if true. If you’re unaware of what the Russian Scandal involves, here’s a quick summary:

It starts with Donald Trump being advised to not appoint Michael Flynn, who was fired due to his connections with Russia. Donald Trump appointed him anyway, as national security advisor. After Donald Trump’s win in the election for the presidency, it was revealed by the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) that Russia had intervened with the US presidential election to help Trump win.

Fast forward to Trump picking his cabinet members. Trump nominates Rex Tillerson as his Secretary of State. Tillerson was awarded by Vladimir Putin, President of Russia, in 2013 with the Order of Friendship medal, which is a medal awarded to individuals that are “friends” with Putin. Michael Flynn continues to converse with Russia’s ambassador on numerous occasions which causes James Comey, now the former director of the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) to investigate Flynn. This leads to Trump urging Comey to drop the investigation on Flynn and Flynn resigning. But Comey doesn’t stop the investigation, which leads to Trump firing him for doing his job.

Later on, Donald Trump is reported “boasting” to Russian officials in the oval office about highly classified information that involves the United States counter-terrorism plans. And Lastly, the most current event involving Russia and Donald Trump. A US official reported that Trump stated the firing of James Comey relieved “great pressure” and proceeded to label Comey as a “real nut job”.

This is when that “hope” really started to disappear. After all this, during a speech for the 2017 graduating class of the US Coast Guard Academy, Trump gave advice to the 195 new graduates, “Now, I want to take this opportunity to give you some advice. Over the course of your life, you will find that things are not always fair. You will find that things happen to you that you do not deserve and that are not always warranted. But you have to put your head down and fight, fight, fight. Never, ever, ever give up. Things will work out just fine. Look at the way I’ve been treated lately, especially by the media. No politician in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly….” Of course, at a speech that's supposed to be about the graduating class, he had to make it about himself.

Is he forgetting that Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley and John F. Kennedy were all assassinated while they were still serving as presidents? Not to mention other politicians such as John W. Stevens, who was ostracized by locals and later tortured and murdered by the KKK after helping politically organize blacks.

Or what about Hiram Revels, who was the first African-American to serve as a US senator. He was told by the southern democratic State legislation in the state of Mississippi that he couldn’t serve in the US senate due to the fact that he didn’t become a US citizen until after the ratification of the 14th amendment. Which, in case you didn't know, you have to be a US citizen for at least nine years before serving in the US Senate.

And lastly, Barack Obama, the first African-American president that was constantly criticized by not only American citizens but Donald Trump himself for not being a US citizen even after he showed his birth certificate. Trump even tweeted about it:

But "no politician" in history has been "treated worse or more unfairly" than Donald Trump.

Now let’s not forget the other scandals Trump has been involved in. These involve but aren’t limited to sexual assault, marital rape, hiring undocumented workers and models, four bankruptcies, and possible ties to the mafia. Also, his enticing of American citizens to be violent towards those who do not agree with him at his presidential rallies. But he wants us to be heard, right? Maybe only if we agree with his views.

Oh! But let’s not forget Hillary Clinton read her emails on her personal computer and Bill Clinton had that sex scandal with Monica Lewinsky. No one is perfect.

But you’re right, citizens of America that aren’t showing support for our current president, Donald Trump, are foolish and "making our country look dysfunctional and vulnerable." The people of America that are exercising their first amendment right, freedom of speech, and assembling against Trump are "making our country look dysfunctional and vulnerable." Not Trump revealing highly classified information to those that aren’t our allies, Russia, and his appointed staff’s involvement in Russia as well as members of his staff stating false statements about their involvement with Russia to other government officials.

So, with that, I ask you to answer this, what about his presidency is Making America Great Again?