Response To "Date Someone Who Treats You Like Sh*t"

Date someone you deserve.

19

Recently, I came across an article shared on Facebook. The article is called "Date Someone Who Treats You Like Shit". And all I have to say about it is a big fat no. The article is a lengthy essay talking about pretty much how being in an abusive relationship is good for you. It states that if you give someone your everything and they give you nothing that it is helpful. It encourages behaviors to excuse your abuser, it hypes up a shitty person. That is completely disgusting.

I understand that their main point is to say that if you end up in an awful relationship and make it through it will help you grow as a person. This may help you realize what you deserve; however, they are completely wrong saying that you should seek a relationship like that. Being in an abusive relationship is toxic. It will mess with your mind, it will make you think something is wrong with you. It will make you upset everyday. It will blind you to all the good relationships in the world. It will make you afraid of all other relationships you will have in the future. You will live in fear for a very long time, so please tell me why would you seek that out? What good comes out of a relationship like that?

I've seen relationships like this. I know what they do to people. They tear people down and ruin them, and someone is saying this is good? They clearly have never been in an abusive relationship, and if they have, I am extremely dumbfounded that they are actually preaching to people to find one like theirs.

If this author has experienced a bad relationship, I truly feel sorry for them. It is awful that they experienced that: no one ever should. That is why I am so hurt by this article. I would never tell people a relationship that hurt you is healthy. I would not recommend being hurt by someone. I've been there, and I would never want anyone to experience something like that.

Yes, learn from your mistakes. Absolutely grow when you free yourself of that situation. Realize your worth. Those are all great things to come from a situation like that; however, never ever seek that out. Don't put yourself in that situation on purpose. Respect yourself and know what you deserve from the start. You deserve the world, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.