Respecting Differences By Being Kind

Respecting Differences By Being Kind

The importance of treating people how you want to be treated

110
Respecting Differences By Being Kind

Perhaps the only legacy worth having is to have been known as a kind and compassionate person.

There is this word that exists in the world, yet you barely see anyone using it… the word is “different”. People are continuous being judged, ridiculed and scared to be different. I hate that every time I look on the Internet or turn on the news, it is yet another story of someone getting hurt for just being who they are.

Everywhere I go, I observe the people around me. I see people of different color, sizes, and shapes. I see people who look tired, happy and sometimes sad. I see people with crosses around their necks and people with tattoos all over their bodies. Every single person I see is unique in his or her own way. It is what makes them different. It is not my job to judge or change someone because they aren’t the same as me. In fact one should not have a habit of analyzing a person by their beliefs or appearance.

We are supposed to respect each other for who we are not for what we are told. If I see an elderly person in the street looking for help, I'll help them, not because I know them, but because of respect. We all deserve to be respected.

It's saddening to see how the media or people itself, by words that don’t have meanings, can influence people so easily. Imagine, there are people out there who are blamed for something they have no control over. Ignorance has taken over the world.

It isn’t hard to show respect to people who are different than you. All you have to do is speak kindly.

Before you say anything, make sure you say something beautiful, let your mouth be clean, know what you're saying and ask yourself "is it worth sharing?" Show respect even to people who don’t deserve it, not as a reflection of their character, but as a reflection of yours.

At times, we are overwhelmed with our thoughts that we forget to think before we speak. My mother always told me that if I never had anything nice to say, to not say anything at all. I personally believe that the things you say about others, say a lot about you. The tongue has no bones, but is strong enough to break a heart. So be careful with your words.

We have so much power in the way we speak to people. One compliment here and a couple words of encouragement there could mean the difference to someone. Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are endless.

Pointing out the good in others helps us find the good in ourselves. Perhaps the only legacy worth having is to have been known as a kind and compassionate person. If we can respect others, then we also earn the right to be respected. No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are, how you treat people ultimately tells all. Integrity is everything.