Working Full Time Deserves More Respect
Nature Animals

Respect those who work a full-time job: It's harder than you'd expect

Realizing how much full-time employees do is the first part of learning to respect them.

19
https://www.pexels.com/photo/working-in-a-group-6224/

This summer I am working a full-time job. I've realized how little credit I've given to others in the past because I haven't fully appreciated how much they do at their jobs every day and then how much they are still able to do outside of that.

Most every day when I get home from work, I am exhausted, ready for dinner, and want to just sit down for a little while. My mom has always worked full-time, and when I was younger, I would get frustrated with her that she didn't want to play all the time right when she got home.

"I just need to sit down for a minute," she would tell me. I get it now. Adulting is hard.

Having time to fulfill the responsibilities that are required of you in your everyday life is taxing enough for some people, but when one works full-time, it becomes even more tiring. It's difficult to balance everything when you are stuck somewhere for 8 hours a day and are unable to make any progress on your responsibilities at home. You can't exactly do your laundry and be at work at the same time unless you're really good.

My summer job is fairly physical, as I am walking back and forth around the shop all day and I am on my feet. I also have to be in the heat nearly all day. It's not quite as bad as outdoors, but it gets pretty stuffy when you are next to a giant fabric press that is three hundred degrees or when you're washing dishes in hot water all day.

These kinds of jobs are fine for college kids during the summer, but what about the other employees? They are constantly working this physically draining job day in and day out in order to provide for themselves and their families. These people are quite a bit older than me and are doing the same types of jobs that are more physically demanding. I thought that my feet hurt from standing all day, so I can't imagine some of the others' pain from working this job every day, some for years by now.

Doing just about anything for eight hours straight during the day is pretty difficult, and in my opinion, deserves some respect. Most people working in full-time positions have motivation for their work. They are trying to do well for themselves and will sacrifice their entire day for it.

It's a great feat to work for many hours in a row, and we should be sure to thank others for what they do all day at their job because it most likely benefits you in some way. This includes coworkers!) Everyone is doing their part for the greater good of the company and should be respected and appreciated. I make it a point to praise the good work of those around me because I believe that creates a team-like atmosphere in which we are supportive of each other and push each other to do good work.

When others are trying to make a living, it's important to be sensitive to what they must do in order to do so. People give up their entire days to work and provide for themselves and others. It's commendable to get your money honestly in this way, and I believe that we should respect those who work full-time a bit more than we do now.

One of the easiest ways to respect someone who works very hard is to tell them of your appreciation for what they do, even if it is not about their work. This little bit of happiness in an employee's day could make the difference for them that could turn their bad day into a good one.

Another easy way to respect someone who works full-time is to offer to pick up some of their responsibilities outside of work if you can. A great way to show your hardworking sister that she's doing well? Offer to help her with her household chores. Giving someone who is working a chance to breathe when they get home is probably the best way to show your respect and appreciation to them. After a long day, most of us want to go home and relax. The least we can do for someone who does so much for us through their job is to allow them that quiet time to reflect on the day.

Those who work full-time are trying to do their best to have enough money to do what they want. many people want to chase their dreams and they will have to work for it. I believe that we should understand the hard work that these members of society do and show our appreciation for their acts a bit more. It is helpful for those who are not in a full-time position to understand fully how tiring and how much of a commitment the full-time work of others is in order to be more empathetic.

Working full-time is a challenge some days, and so I will do my best to always be a little extra nice to those who do it.