10 New Years Resolutions You'll Actually Want to Keep

Stop making yourself miserable.

68

I am not a fan of New Year's Eve or New Year's Resolutions. December 31 is inevitably disappointing, with expectations of parties and kisses that turn into a reality of falling asleep at 10 p.m. kissing a bottle of wine.

Similarly, New Year's Resolutions are an inevitable disappointment. You promise to work out/eat more vegetables/stop buying Starbucks, and by the end of the first week you've given up. This year, however, instead of making a promise which will only become annoying and disappointing, I decided to make fun resolutions. So without further ado, I thought I'd share some ideas for enjoyable New Years Resolutions that you'll actually want to keep.

1. Watch more dog videos

We all love dogs. They're always friendly, always love you, and are a perfect study break. Unfortunately, we don't live in a world with constant dog companions for everyone, so that's where the great world of YouTube comes in. Take a break, curl up and watch some cute dogs. My personal favorites are dog fail videos. Silly puppers.

2. Do a weekly spa night

Who doesn't love a great face mask? Especially when you get into the grind of the semester, taking some time for yourself is important. Make some hot chocolate, put on a face mask and paint your nails.

3. Go to bed early

I know, I know, going to bed early every single night doesn't seem achievable. You have homework to finish, papers to write, exams to cram for and Netflix to watch. But once a week, get your beauty rest and crawl into bed early. Even if 'early' for you means midnight.

4. Do something crazy

This doesn't have to be as crazy as skydiving–unless that's something you want to do–but try committing to trying something new every so often this year. Whether it's dyeing your hair fuschia, trying pineapple on pizza (it's delicious, don't @ me) or putting new twinkle lights in your room, making a change can be refreshing and rejuvenation–not to mention fun.

5. Watch your favorite show

I'm constantly hearing people promise to watch less Netflix this year, and while that's great for some people, watching your favorite show can be a great way to relax. I'm not saying you should drop everything in favor of endless Netflix binges–although that sounds great–but don't make yourself miserable by cutting off all entertainment. There's a balance to be found, and your favorite TV show is an important part of that.

6. Dress up (or don't)

Just like changing your hair can be refreshing, sometimes switching up your wardrobe is a welcome change. Swap out your yoga pants for a cute (comfy) dress, or alternately, treat yourself to a day of sweatpants and t-shirts. Whatever makes you happy.

7. Talk to your best friend

Even if it's your roommate that you see every day, take two minutes and shoot them a text. Call your girlfriend, Snapchat your long-distance BFF or call your Mom. Whoever it is, even a five-minute conversation can turn your entire week around.

8. Disconnect

Like any millennial, I love social media. Scrolling through Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are usually my go-to study breaks. Because of this, I've never actually given up social media, and never really felt the need to do so, but with modern news the way it is I've been more tempted than ever to put down my phone. Even if you don't want to entirely shut down your social media accounts, sometimes just unfollowing that one account on Twitter is good for your mental health (*cough, Trump, cough*). Yes, staying involved and aware is important, but so is your mental stability.

9. Redecorate

Get some new sheets, move your bed to the opposite wall or just hang a new poster. You don't have to be an organization freak like me–organizing my planner is honestly my favorite pastime–but cleaning up your desk or hanging up that pile of clothes can really be good for your stress levels.

10. Read for fun

This is actually one of my 2018 resolutions. Instead of solely reading my textbooks for the whole semester, I'm going to read at least one chapter of a fun book each week. Even if it's a trashy romance–hello, Twilight–take a break from that giant econ textbook and read what you want.

New Year's Resolutions are stressful. We're asked to restrict our favorite foods, get out of bed at the crack of dawn and basically do lots of unpleasant things in the name of improving our lives. This year, however, instead of forcing yourself to do unpleasant things, take the time to treat yourself.