How To Make A New Year's Resolution Stick
Wellbeing

It's that time of year again... time to reflect and choose a New Year's resolution that probably won't see February.

30
https://www.flickr.com/photos/linh_rom/3356798888

We've all been there-the sight of the New Year is fast approaching and with all the parties and shopping and family it may be hard to even consider what or if any resolution to make. We all run into each year screaming, "This is it-this is MY year!", and by making a resolution we are somehow hoping that by attaining this goal, 2019 will actually be OUR year. But, the sad truth is that even though forty percent of people make New Year's resolutions, only about nineteen percent actually follow through. The reason? Well, most of us make these decisions on New Year's Eve, or may not spend too much time actually contemplating what is realistic. So, when the new year does hit, we go hard for the first couple of weeks, telling ourselves that this year is OUR year.

Unfortunately, psychologists say the stark drop off rate of people who don't achieve their New Year's resolution can be due to the fact most resolutions may be too lofty. As humans do, we tend to overestimate the effort something may take and underestimate the time we have at our disposal. Even if we are fully committed to achieving the resolution, sometimes life gets in the way. Weddings, work, and prior responsibilities may precede over gym time, a self care routine, or enjoying a new hobby. So, when this first pitfall does occur and we misstep, most people are unwilling to get up. They tend to believe that if they can't make it the first month, then how could I make it a whole year? We are so quick to find a reason to stop that we tend to forget that real change occurs over time.

In order to succeed with your resolution, psychologists advise two things: be realistic and don't get discouraged. When setting a goal or something to accomplish in the coming year, take time to think it through. Understand your own limitations and your own life's responsibilities, to make a resolution that suits your lifestyle. Remember that this resolution is all about you (it is going to be YOUR year, after all), so make it something that you know you can accomplish. Who cares about what your work friend, significant other, or neighbor is doing. Resolutions are about changing something in your own life-so take some time away from the holidays to think about what you want the upcoming year to look like. The second point is probably the most important-don't get discouraged. If you plan to go to the gym but miss the second day, get up on the third day and attack it. It takes twenty-one days for a habit to form, so don't give up! Life in general is full of missteps and pitfalls and even a New Year's resolution isn't immune to that. So, pick yourself up and continue on, you'll be so happy that you did.

Have fun making 2019 YOUR YEAR!