10 New Years Resolutions College Kids Give Up Before February

How long can you actually go without checking social media?

143
unsplash.com

1. Being on time for your 8 a.m.

When you signed up for this class, it honestly did not seem like a bad idea. Twice a week, 8 am, what's the issue? The issue is that you have to BE THERE at 8 am, not waking up. So in reality to make it to your 8 am on time you have to wake up at 7 am. Maybe next semester you'll sign up for the 9:10 am instead...

2. A healthy diet

New Year, new you! Right? You are determined to lose the freshman 15 that you actually gained sophomore year, so you only buy nutritious groceries the next time you go to HEB. After you see how expensive this grocery trip is and the time consumption of cooking, you decide not to do it again and return to your diet of Chick-Fil-A and Whataburger.

3. Cursing less

OK for some reason it was a lot easier to not curse when you were home with your parents over break. So that can only mean one thing... It's not your fault, it's everyone that is you's fault! Their vocabulary influences yours, and you're just not above the influence. You did have pure intentions when you made this resolution though, so give yourself a pat on the back.

4. Going to the rec regularly

You knew this was going to be the first thing you gave up when you made it, but you said it anyways. Between the cold weather and the soreness you felt when you walked down the stairs this morning, you are not leaving your bed. Much less going to drive some where to run on a treadmill!

5. Using social media less

How long do you actually think you could go without using Snapchat? It sounds like a great idea until something funny happens and you can not help but record it. And then you can not help but send it to all your friends and your story. And then you can not help but periodically check who has replied and who has viewed it. And you also cannot help to more than occasionally scroll through your Instagram feed... Old habits die hard.

6. Starting your day early

Before you set your alarm the night before, you start to plan how you want your morning to go. Wake up early, eat a nice breakfast, maybe go for a fun, read your bible. All this sounds like a great idea until your alarm starts going off and it feels like you have just taken a quick nap... so of course you hit snooze and proceed to sleep till noon and wake up and stare at the ceiling for the next 6 hours.

7. Getting a good night's sleep

Just like waking up early and being productive, going to sleep and getting some good rest in sounds like a great idea. But you know what sounds like a more fun idea? Staying up until 3 a.m. binge-watching Netflix. So you do that instead.

8. Wearing real clothes more often

You got allll these new cute clothes for Christmas and winter does not last very long in College Station, so you might as well wear them now, right?? But then you look cute on the first day of class and your feet end up hurting from walking across campus and everyone else just looks so... comfy! So after the first week of class, you digress back to wearing your Nikes paired with your nicest (t-shirt) and leggings.

9. Calling their siblings at home more

You actually feel guilty about this one. You made a promise as you were loading your suitcase in your car that you would FaceTime your younger siblings and keep up with them when you got back to school... But things got so busy so quickly! Hopefully, the same thing happened to them too, so they forgot that you ever said that until you come home and see them.

10. Studying more than the 24 hours till your exam

I have said this every semester since my freshman year, yet here I am as a junior and I have decided this is inevitable. At least in one class. Of course, you can not do this for your finals, but after the first round of tests when you know you are getting a solid B in this class... YOLO.