To My Residents As They End Their First Year of "Adulting"

This year with you has gone by way too fast.

115
Taylor Kmiech

Dear Section 1A,

It’s so weird to believe that I am writing this letter to you all now. It seems like just yesterday that I was wishing you well for the school-year, apologizing for my awkwardness, and telling you how I excited I was to meet all of you.

We all definitely had our moments this year. Some of them were super fun, others were challenging, but I am confident to say that I have enjoyed every moment of this year. I know we had some “kafuffles” with puzzle-piece stealers, reminders about quiet hours, and other unmentionable things, but this year has been one of my favorites in school history, and that would not have been possible without you.

All I want to say is thank you. I know I’ve taught you all a few “tricks” about Gustavus, like how to obtain those hard-to-get discount theater tickets earlier this year, and how to spend your caf money the “right way.” However, you all have taught me so many life skills that I will be able to take with me into the future. It is from you all that I have learned the important skills of thinking on my feet when things start to not go my way. I have learned how to look at life from multiple perspectives, and how to just have fun a little sometimes. I can’t imagine this year without you all in it.

I am so proud of the strong, kind, independent women that you have become. My job has been to secretly foster the growth of your leadership skills, independence, problem-solving, and so much more. I am proud of you all every time I see you do well on a test, have successful concerts, and solve problems on your own. You could say I am like a proud mom, but a cool proud mom.

As summer comes and goes and you are thrust back into the stresses of sophomore year, all I want to say is that you all are so ready to take on the rest of college by storm. I have seen you all grow over the course of this year, from nervous nellies to some of the most confident people I have ever seen. Next year will still be difficult, I am not going to lie, but I know that you all will be able to handle whatever life throws at you with the grace I have seen you act with on our floor.

It’s going to be different not seeing you all as much as I usually do. You all have given me such joy, laughter, and smiles over the past two semesters. I may have a different set of residents next year, but they will be completely different than you. All I ask is that you please remember me. You are always welcome to come back and visit me in Co-ed, or we can get coffee or something.

Love Always,

Your First-Year CF