Remember Why We're Actually Celebrating

Remember Why We're Actually Celebrating

God bless those stars and stripes.

20
Remember Why We're Actually Celebrating
www.pinterest.com

This weekend is a time for celebration; for fireworks, time on the lake, barbecues and all-around good times. These things are all wonderful, but we have to remember that this weekend is more importantly a time to consider and be thankful, to remember what it means to be an American. On July 4, 1776 the greatest country in the world was founded and we need to take a pause in between the sparklers and Instagram photos to honor the privilege we all have to be citizens of this great nation.

We are lucky. We are lucky enough to have religious freedom, the freedom to worship our God as we choose to do so, something that is much too often taken for granted. We have the freedom of speech, without which I might not be writing to you all today. The simple allowances that lie in our documents make us the nation that we are. Our fore fathers fought for the opportunity to create these freedoms and privileges for us and generations down the road. It is certainly something we shouldn't take for granted.

The bravest men and women fight every day for those stars and stripes, for their families, and all of the citizens of this country. They are one of the greatest reasons that we are able to celebrate this holiday. These heroes serve and protect our freedoms, so to all of our armed forces actives or veterans, thank you for your service to this great nation.

We as a nation stand together because we know who we are and what this place is. We have the opportunity to grow, become educated and learn, to carry out our freedoms and rights as citizens of this great country. Though flawed, for nothing is perfect, we stand united as one country and what a beautiful thing that is.

Enjoy this holiday. Eat, drink, be merry and watch a firework show or two, but be sure to remember why you're celebrating. Celebrate with a purpose, celebrate your freedom and the sacrifices that have been made to make this nation what it is today. Because we’re all proud to be Americans.