7 Things To Remember When You Want To Quit

Quitting just isn't an option.

125
Unsplash

We as young adults do not get a lot of time to prepare ourselves for life after high school. Some would agree when I say that we are thrown into the whirling vortex of life with no warning and no direction; it can be very hard, but most of us are making it through bit by bit. I feel like I speak for many people when I say the urge to quit is the strongest when you are close to the end.

I am very close to graduating college, and I want nothing more than to curl up in my bed and sleep most days, but it's in times like these when we must keep moving forward. Here are ten things to hold onto when you get the urge to quit when you’re so close to reaching your goals:

1. You’re almost there!

Yeah, I know it sucks, and its kind of a cliché thing to say but it’s true; you’re almost to the finish line even though you feel like you’re at the end of your rope. I know it may not seem like it now. All the late nights studying, forcing yourself to get up for class, fill out those job applications, make those appointments, but it’ll all be over soon enough. Always remember, IT GETS WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER and if it seems bad right now, you’re probably very close to a major breakthrough.

2. You’re not alone

Another one of those cliché things but hear me out; so many people were sitting where you’re sitting now, so many people couldn’t find the light at the end of their tunnel at first, but they made it and you can too. Believe in yourself as much as you believe in the journey.

3. Breathe, you’re allowed to screw up

The years between 18 and roughly 25 are the years where we feel like we must have our lives together in a specific time frame, but everything just seems to be the most out of control. I’m here to tell you that its okay to mess up, it’s okay not to have everything figured out just because you see your peers doing well, everyone is on their own timeline. Take a deep breath. You’ll reach your goals in your own time.

4. Seek help, it's okay

Something that I found to be true in my own personal journal is that some people between the ages of 16 and 26 develop aggressive depression and anxiety disorders while in university. I know because I battle severe and high functioning anxiety depression that affects my life on a day to day basis. This makes it a little bit harder to stay strong and not quit when everything is spiraling out of control, but I want you to know that you don’t have to do anything alone. You can seek help from friends, family or a counselor to help you rationalize what goes on in your head; when you’re this close to the end, you must take care of yourself the most.

5. Find time to relax

It’s almost time to take that walk across the stage, or sign that contract, or whatever you’re looking to do, make sure you’re not walking around a ball of pent-up frustrations. All work and no play make a dull man, remember to treat yourself from time to time because you’ve worked hard, and you deserve it.

6. You’ll be disappointed in yourself the most

I know from my own experience that scrolling on social media is the worst when you already feel like crap, everyone seems to have their lives together and that makes you feel so much worse. But if you walk away right now, you’ll regret it, later on. You’re so close, and nobody said you had to be done with everyone else.

7. There is no time limit

This is when we must constantly be told that there is no time limit, you aren’t running out of time, and it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been working for something, nothing worth anything happened overnight, you’re tired because the work is almost done. Don’t give up until its over. You’ll feel so much better when you look back and can say you did it.