Relationships In Supernatural: Perfectly Flawed Vs. Perfectly Toxic

Why Destiel is so much healthier than Deamara.

393
Supernatural - Out of the Darkness, Into the Fire - Review

Season 11 of Supernatural has seen a lot of surprises, including the returns of Chuck, Lucifer, Kevin Tran, and Metatron. One thing that has had fans on edge all season is the emergence of a new villain, Amara AKA The Darkness, and her relationship with Dean Winchester. From the season premier, it has been clear that there is meant to be some kind of romantic relationship between the two characters, and this raises many problems.

For one thing, the Supernatural fandom has held a high regard and hopes for Dean to end up with Castiel, an angel who has been on the show since season 4, when he "raised [Dean] from perdition." So now there is the question, who would be better for Dean? Well, the answer is very simply found when one looks at the kind of relationships he has had with both characters.

Since this is the longer standing relationship, we'll begin with Destiel (DeanxCastiel). In season 4, Castiel came into the picture as Dean's savior, but there was a palpable friction between the two characters. However, this quickly melted as Cas saw right through the rock hard exterior Dean shows to the world. Dean also learns much about Cas and they become close fairly quickly. Ever since they have gone through Purgatory together, sacrificed themselves (and been brought back to life) for each other, and given each other much-needed reality checks.

They have never given up on each other, or refused to see the good each other can do or be. On top of this, they have saved each other countless times, from countless things in the 8 seasons they've been in each others lives, never giving up until the other was safe. Well, as safe as one can be on Supernatural. This relationship may not be perfect, but it is certainly a healthier and saner one than that of Dean and Amara.

Amara has just come onto the Supernatural scene this season as The Darkness, who is God's sister from the beginning of time. She is destruction, the void Genesis talks about, and someone who lives off of eating human souls. The Mark of Cain was the key to the prison God and Lucifer shoved her in at the beginning of time, and it was the destruction of that mark that freed her at the end of Season 10. Ever since episode 1 of Season 11, Amara has had a deep desire for Dean, and it has been shown multiple times that Dean struggles with feelings for her as well, culminating in a kiss between the characters mid-season. As romantic and possibly tragic this sounds, let's also look at why it is an incredibly toxic relationship as well.

Ever since Amara came into the show, she has been insistent that Dean was going to join her. She has no care for Sam at all, or anything else in the universe. She only wants Dean to join her, and she will destroy everything else until nothing but them remain. She literally wants to make it so there is nothing but the two of them. Her plan is to eradicate everything with no regard for how Dean feels about that which she kills, including his own brother. In the end, she only wants Dean for herself, and she doesn't care if he doesn't want to be with her, she sees it as the only logical outcome. This does not make for a healthy or sane relationship, only one that is selfish and emotionally abusive. Because of this, Dean and Amara should not happen as a couple, the characters just aren't good for each other.