The Relationship Between Education And Technology

The power of technological advancements.

6022

Going to school today is much different from attending school a few decades ago. Advancements in technology have tremendously changed the game for almost every aspect of our daily human lives, from personal to education. If you could live in America during the 1970s or 80s, would you? Back when going to the library to gain insight and acquire new information was the norm. Rewinding songs on cassette tapes and CDs to find your favorite line of the song was the norm. Reading a book was the norm. Those few examples are not so much thought of today as the advancements in technology have flourished.

Computers, mobile devices and other electronic devices have revolutionized American education in many ways. For example, today, schools tend to equip classrooms and labs with multiple computers for each student to spend time on while, during the past, there was maybe one single computer that was shared among entire classes of students. Also, educational facilities use the term "online learning" as a gateway toward acquiring knowledge that can be acquired within a classroom, while during the past, such a thing was unheard of. Today, we also have electronic textbooks whereas such items did not even exist during earlier times. The importance of education remains the same as it did during former times; however, the quality of education has declined. During former times, children learners were more disciplined and were actually compassionate about learning. Learning goes beyond mathematics, the English language, science and law. Learning is a compilation of academic understanding and attaining values and work ethic.

This topic holds significant importance because many kids today only attend school because their parents "make them." From experience, I have seen front row that "school isn't for everyone." However, the learning methods taught in the classroom today are less interactive than when our parents were in school. Our parents didn't have access to the mobile devices that we acquire today. As technology consistently advances over the years, the less books are being used within classrooms. Before electronics were introduced to the world, there was BOOKS. Our parents had the luxury of actually reading accommodating information that could further their intellectual senses. It is important to have these conversations with our children today before it is too late. I think we should introduce our children to the more traditional way of learning like going to the library and reading lengthy books to acquire information for research papers and projects.

There are both pros and cons of employing electronic devices within learning and teaching environments. It is true that electronics have increased ways to access information faster; however, acquiring information faster does not necessarily mean that it is better than accessing information more carefully inside of a book. The Internet can prove to be effective as a learning method, but what requires more brain stimulation....researching and accessing information with a click of a button, or opening a book physically, filled with words.

During the 1970s and 80s, during which most of today’s generation’s parents were born and introduced to education, the children appeared more respectful and intrigued by their teachers and the curriculum. From my experience in today’s world, many students care less and less about education and gaining new knowledge. There does not seem to be a desire for education like there is for fashion, social media and going out “clubbing.” Education today tends to focus more on teacher-pupil relationships rather than strict discipline and a promise to gain new and useful information. Unlike during the 1970s, today’s education system has unlimited access to the internet in the case of class examinations, writing essays or simply doing research for a huge project. Today’s education systems show that technology serves as a teaching method, rather than former times when most adults today were kids and acquiring educational knowledge by means of books, books and more books.

Although technology has advanced learning methods within the classroom today, learning methods during the 1970s and 80s required more brain stimulation. As soon as an assignment is given in today’s classrooms, almost every student will use their mobile device for assistance instead of a book.

In a face-to-face interview with a DCPS mother, it was revealed that she believes that children today are not being challenged enough in school, or in life, in order to know, do and be better. She stated, “I have three kids in grade school and basically they’re teaching them how to pass tests, which is basically teaching them common sense...technology is a blessing and a curse because you can Google everything, but back when I was growing up, we had encyclopedias, we had to go the library, we had to use typewriters, we had to write letters…and today, kids aren’t made to write letters.” This woman's statement proves just how much educational learning methods have differed throughout the years. The advancements in technology within the classroom has reduced our children's reading comprehension. So what are YOU gonna do about it? Parents...start encouraging your kids to read traditional printed books rather than the Internet and E-books. It is a matter of how our children today absorb information...it differs between today and back when.

The explosive advancements in technology during the 21st century has established new learning methods for traditional classrooms in America. The education system today versus past education systems is much different, with much thanks to technology. Regardless of such differences, technology has advanced and will only further advance as the years progress onward. It is a matter of creating a comfortable and illustrious environment for children learners to want to be a part of. The changes in education can be just as advantageous as it was during former times if educational environments were more inviting and focused on the successful future of the children rather than close-knit relationships between the teachers and pupils. We need environments that engages more young learners and equips them with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in life. Traditional learning methods will only provide students the exposure they need to interpret and absorb information more effectively. Today, kids are given the option and priority to use the Internet for resources and information. Back in the 70s and 80s, there was no such thing as going to Google to find the definition of a word...they had to use a physical dictionary and/or encyclopedia.

Take a second to imagine getting an education in the 70s and 80s...imagine fewer to no computers, no wifi and Internet access. Traditional learning methods will only increase today's generation of children in school. It allows for random discussions and more student-centered assignments and needs to occur. Today, our children are exposed to the Internet and lovin' it! We gotta encourage each other to choose books over Internet for educational learning methods and exposure. What can I say...I love to learn.