15 Reasons I Relate To Anne Shirley

15 Reasons I Relate To Anne Shirley

Anne of Green Gables is my homie!

354
15 Reasons I Relate To Anne Shirley
Cine XD

I was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

Ever since I can remember, I've never been shy to share this fact, especially since my island is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, as we know it (at least in my very biased opinion). Another person, a literary character, was also born on this island in the imagination of a very clever and ingenious woman, Lucy Maud Montgomery. Anne of Green Gables has been loved by many throughout the years. Reading the books, watching the movies, and listening to the radio theatre version of her story has caused me to acquire a list of things I identify with Anne Shirley. I hope that you can also find things you have in common with her!

1. She has a love for words.

Ineffable vocabulary is a definite favorite here.

2. She is distracted easily.

Remember the time she forgets to cover the plum pudding because she gets distracted due to imagining to be a nun? "I'm a Protestant but I imagined I was a Catholic...I forgot all about covering the pudding sauce." The result: 1) a mouse in the pudding and 2) Anne screaming across the table, "DON'T EAT IT MISS STACEY!"

3. She has a big imagination.

Let's look at the logic. She's in a small forest. It's daytime. And she's worried about ghosts? It is well known in Avonlea that ghosts do not roam the forests during the day. But... you must admit: it's always dark in the woods.

4. She is stubborn.

This is a dangerous characteristic to hold. It nearly killed her, and definitely broke her ankle!

5. She doesn't hold onto grudges. Ever.

Yeah.

Never.

(She only stopped talking to Gilbert and ignored his existence entirely for a bit, give or take a few years.)

6. She struggles to fit in.

Standing out isn't her favorite thing in the world. As a matter of fact, she wants to be just like everyone else. If only her hair weren't red!

7. She is impulsive.

'Nuff said.

8. She loves to write.

Novels. Short stories. Grocery lists. Something for a baking company. You name it, she'll write it.

9. She is the clumsiest person on the planet.

It's an everyday struggle, really. This also has to do with point #7. Impulsive actions rarelynever lead to finesse. Neither does running after a cow (that isn't yours) through a muddy field lead to a clean outfit.

10. She wants to be a teacher.

She knows it won't be easy, but she knows that's what she's meant to do.

11. People struggle spelling her name.

Might as well just spell your name whenever you meet someone. Except for me, it's "Yvanna without an E."

12. She is slightly dramatic.

She just has to turn the simplest events into the most elaborate irrational dramatic moments. Your life is not a perfect graveyard, sista! Pull yourself together!

13. She has complete control of her temper.

It comes with the territory.

14. She utilizes sarcasm.

Clever one! See? It's funny 'cause she's struggling to stay afloat and not fishing for lake trout. Haha! No? Okay. No, then.

15. She talks. A lot.

And people don't mind telling her.

At least, she owns it!

I'm thankful to L.M. Montgomery for creating this very relatable, wonderful, bull-headed, tempestuous, red-headed, freckled kindred spirit we have all grown to love.

Relating to Anne of Green Gables has taught me that it's okay to have a crazy imagination and love the way words sound, even when others don't. But more importantly, it has helped see myself as I really am, flaws and all. When you look at the things you know you struggle with (i.e. stubbornness, impulsiveness, bad temper), you know what you need to work on.