What To Do When You've Been Rejected From Another Play

In high school, I auditioned for seven plays. I only made the cast of two.

14
In high school, I auditioned for seven different plays. I only made the cast of two.

Sometimes I submitted a lousy audition for the fall play. On other occasions, my height prevented me from obtaining a chorus role in the spring musical. By the time I reached my senior year, a steady pile of rejections doused my spirit with insecurity and hopelessness.

What happens when you reach the point where rejection outweighs your will to continue? Can your recite the obligatory, "Just because you didn't make callbacks doesn't mean we didn't cast you," easier than a monologue? If so, consider these tips that helped me land a part senior year.

Ask the director about how you can improve

I tend to shudder when any critical eye hovers my direction. However, I wish I hadn't waited until my fifth audition to ask the director, "What suggestions do you have for me to improve my audition?" The director thanked me on the phone for inquiring about how to refine my presentation. "To be honest, Hope, it came down to a size issue (i.e. you're a bit too tall) this time around. But you can also improve your audition by easing your facial expressions."

If I hadn't asked, my face would've adopted a stiff, intense expression for the sixth audition.

Stage Manage

Stage managers work side-by-side with directors, closer than even the main characters. This gives you a chance to prove your dedication to the theater. If a director notices how you handle the responsibility of (essentially) running the entire show, he or she will consider how you could handle the task of a chorus role or speaking part.

Work on a crew

Often, directors might have in mind someone who they want to stage manage. Fret not! Offer to serve on a crew position. This can integrate your name among theater members. If so and so can paint a set well, then, she can operate the lights properly. And if she can work with tech crew members, certainly she'll merge just fine with the hair and make up crew. And if she fulfills each role to the best of her capacity, who's to say she cannot do the same with a part in a play?

Not to mention, you meet wonderful people and have a lot of fun.

Practice your audition with a "theatrical" authority

Our choir teacher would offer to practice scores with us before musical auditions. This helped us to train -- in the right key. Practice your monologue in front of a thespian, or theater-lover. They can give you tips on what blocking to avoid and what elements of your personality to play up.

Do not quit

Do not let factors you cannot control determine the outcome of your actions.

Directors can reject actors on basis of height, age, audition performance, skin tone, vocal pitch, and chemistry with other contenders. My sister directed a play and enlightened me on the process. Often, it comes down to looks. Granted, yes, everyone can improve their audition in one way or another. However, biological factors frequently outweigh the effort poured into a monologue.

Of course, it should be noted that you can't blame every rejection on appearance. Present the best performance in your ability during auditions. Don't give a lousy read and then moan, claiming, "I guess they didn't cast me again because of my height."

Never, never, never quit. Perhaps your next audition will land you in the part of Cinderella or Oliver, and you will inspire a youth in the audience to join theater. Maybe your perseverance will give hope to that set crew member who has tried out for every play.

You are a diamond in a sea of garnets.

Even if they do not cast you, think of your situation this way: you are a diamond in a sea of garnets. Diamonds cost much more than garnet. If they can't afford you, that doesn't mean you do not shine.