To The Guy I Rejected, I Wish I Could Take What I Said Back

I wonder what would have happened if I did say yes.

11274
Unsplash

My life flipped when I met you. Although it's been a while, I feel like I just traveled back in time to when I met you. I know we haven't talked in ages, but I just can't help but revisit the time when our friendship turned sour. I can remember how I met you: my friend introduced us. From there, we really hit it off. We talked with each other almost every day, and each day was a blast. I loved talking with you. In fact, I'm sure you had no clue back then, but I thought you were pretty cute. I never really told you, of course. That time when we knew each other, I made myself believe that no guy in the world would ever like me back. Little did I know that this idea that I implanted in my mind would ruin my chances.

I still (somehow) have screenshots of our conversations back then. One of these screenshots shows an extremely random conversation we had. You texted me a random Spanish phrase, and I struggled to read it since I was still learning Spanish at that time. But eventually, I figured out you had texted me a joke. Even though I replied back to you in the most cringey way possible ("MEANIE," and I'm seriously wondering what went through my mind back then), you somehow still replied to me.

I miss those conversations. I miss having someone to share a random conversation with.

That's not all. I miss having someone who would immediately run to help me, especially when I was being bullied online. I still remember clearly what happened. I encountered a bully on Instagram who was commenting about how I was I was "an idiotic, ugly, untalented, bragging and unmodest moron." Those words really hurt me back then. Even though I seemed like I was okay online, I was actually crying to myself when I read those comments. I remember how I was silently crying in my room until my parents walked in so I quickly wiped away my tears so they wouldn't notice anything wrong. But guess what? You were the one who came to my aid. You immediately ran to my side and defended me. You went straight to that bully's Instagram account and started to yell at them for me. You even told me to look at what you said to them. This moment is still the most sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me.

Everything went well until that one day.

That was the day when I was just hit with a load of information. You randomly added me to a group chat filled with your own friends. I had no clue what was going on. Until you straight out asked me out. After you said that, you said "I know you'll probably say no." So then and there, I figured, why on earth would a guy like you actually like me? I figured this was a joke, and I wanted to spare myself the embarrassment of being the girl who actually likes a guy when he can't reciprocate the same feelings back. The problem is, I think you did like me back then. After I told you no, you said it was a bet. I believed you. But now I don't really believe you.

You, or your friend, sent me a text a year later after the incident. You apparently texted me things that are often interpreted as flirting. I can't exactly recall what occurred, but all I remember was how odd it was for you to text me, of all people. It made me wonder if it was really a bet. Because I asked my best friend who introduced us, and she didn't get an odd text from you. It felt like that text was purposely directed towards me and only me, in a way. To be honest, I was actually shocked about how you still had my number. And I think you still do have my number.

Also, I know you told me that it wasn't a bet, and you don't like me at all, but I feel like it wasn't true. I asked several of my friends for their opinions, and they told me that you must have been lying. But how was I supposed to know? Back then, I believed that guys would never like me. Why? Because why on earth would they like a girl like me? But apparently you did. A lot. I guess I was too naive to even notice.

I really do wonder how things would have played out had I told you yes.

But I also can't stop wondering about how hurt you must've felt when I rejected you in the most cruelest way possible in front of all your friends. When I texted you privately asking you if it was actually a bet, you did seem like you were upset. I think I hurt you back then. I really wish I didn't. You're such a sweet guy, and I would have never done that if I knew what was going on back then. If I could turn back time, I would change my answer. But I can't. The past is the past, and we're living in the present. Time passed, and things have changed. You've probably moved on, and I'm still reliving the past where I had a chance with an amazing guy but I lost it because of my own silly mistake.

If you do ever stumble upon this, I just want to let you know that you are the most amazing guy I have ever met in my entire life. I will never forget about how sweet you were to me, and I will never forget what I did to you.

And to anyone else who's in the same shoes, I want to let you know that don't let your insecurities get in the way of getting a guy you really like. Don't be like me. Don't let yourself believe that you will never meet a guy or girl who actually likes you, because you will. Everyone deserves his or her own right to meet their own knight in shining armor, just like how I met one, but lost him too quickly.