Why I Have No Regrets About Choosing Majors In The Liberal Arts

I am no longer defending my majors, I am letting my education speak for itself.

19
Public Domain Archive

Going into college I was undecided about what I wanted to do, I had a few ideas but I wasn’t ready to commit to a certain area. I didn’t want to have to make such a big life decision in a rush and I was comfortable being undeclared. Although, as college started a lot of pressure was put on me to decide what degree I was going to pursue. Everyone was asking me what I wanted to do in the future and I really didn’t have an answer for them.

Although in my freshman year, I took an English class that changed everything for me. I was always passionate about books and reading, this classed combined my passions in a way where I could see where I wanted to end up. So by the end of my second semester at college, I declared a double major in English and Management Communication. A vast difference from the medical field, a profession I felt I should pursue. Now, at the end of my second year, I am still happy with my decision to pursue the majors that I felt passionate about. Here’s why:

I am learning things that I am passionate about.

I have genuinely liked every class I have taken within my majors, while there have been some that pushed me, I am learning about things that interest me. I am proud of the work I do and I know that what I am learning will lead me to a career in something I am passionate about.

I am getting an education that goes further than learning technical skills.

I am not learning skills that transfer into one career path but rather I am building upon my own ability to grow. Instead of relying on what my instructors can teach me, I am learning about myself and what I am capable of with the help of my educators.

I am gaining knowledge that goes outside the classroom.

I have had many opportunities that have brought my learning outside the classroom. I have had the opportunity to publish articles, run interviews, and even plan a fundraiser. I have not only learned important leadership and communication skills but I have also done things that build my resume and portfolio.

I have gained a critical thinking ability that employers look for.

Employers are looking for people coming into the workforce that have a developed critical thinking ability, the skills to learn something quickly, and a strong work ethic. These are skills that I am learning and developing.

I am developing skills that translate to any career.

When I tell people what degrees I am pursuing I am immediately asked what I am going to do with that. There is a certain stigma that surrounds being a liberal arts major, like being an English major limits me to teaching or working at a clothing store. I am here to say that being a liberal arts student means that I am absolutely not limited in what I want to do in the future. Unlike other degrees which gear students towards one specific career, my degrees are giving me a skill set that I can bring anywhere. I have developed leadership ability, quick thinking skills, and a confidence in myself, and I can take these skills and apply them to any job.

So truly have no regrets about declaring majors in the liberal arts area. I am happy that I stayed true to myself because now I am learning about things that I am passionate about and I am building a transferable skills set. So when people ask me what I am going to do with my majors, I tell them that I can do anything I want. I have no regrets about the majors that I choose. I have decided that I am no longer going to defend my majors because the work that I produce, the skills I have developed, and the passion I possess, speaks for itself.