Why I Refuse To 'Forgive And Forget'

Why I Refuse To 'Forgive And Forget'

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about forgiveness.

41
mamashealth

I believe in forgiveness. I believe in giving second chances (and the occasional third). I have made plenty of my own mistakes to understand how easy it is to get caught up in the moment and do things you wish you could later take back. I openly admit that I have done wrong by others. I have been selfish and unkind in the past. But I believe that my moments of weakness do not define me, and that I am greater than the sum of my mistakes. I am thankful for those who have forgiven me in the past, and for those who will forgive me in the future.

I believe that two friends can fight, forgive, and continue their friendship. I believe that a couple can fight, forgive, and continue to grow in love. Forgiveness is accepting someone's faults and loving them through it. I believe in forgiveness, but I refuse to forget. I choose to learn from the experiences that hurt me. I choose to remember the betrayal, the lies, and the disrespect. But I do not let these memories weigh me down-- instead, I let them guide me to a better future.

Growing up, we are all told that we should be learning from our mistakes. But how often are we told to learn from the mistakes of others?

I have learned so much from the mistakes I have watched others make. I have learned from the people who broke my trust, the people who constantly put me on the back-burner, and the people who used me for their own personal gain. Was I hurt by all of these things? Of course. But I am thankful for each and every one of these people.

Thank you for breaking my trust and showing me how betrayal feels. I have made a conscious effort to keep all of my promises, to never share any secrets that aren't my own, and to always stay true to my word. Because of you, I have become one of the most trustworthy people I know.

Thank you for keeping me on the back-burner and making me feel insignificant. I have learned to admire those who are special to me, and to always acknowledge the people I care about. Because of you, I try my hardest to make sure that everyone in my life feels appreciated.

Thank you for using me and making me feel worthless. I have made sure to never take advantage of another person. Instead, I make sure that all of my relationships are two sided, where both people are benefitting from the friendship. Because of you, I now have the healthiest relationships in my life, and I could not be any happier.

I have forgiven all of the people in my life who have hurt me. If we are no longer friends, I truly wish you the best. Thank you for teaching me the valuable lessons in life that I could not learn on my own. You have helped shape me into the person I am today, and I could not be more appreciative.