Reflection on Scholar Strike

Reflection on Scholar Strike

How my university responded and what it means to me

11
Reflection on Scholar Strike
https://www.pexels.com/photo/protesters-holding-signs-4561540/

Upon doing my research on the Scholar Strike, I wished that I didn't have to find out about it from random posts on the internet. I wished that Fordham would have released a statement, considering it's very relevant to them since they are an academic institution. It seems like Fordham took the "if we ignore it, maybe it'll go away" approach to Scholar Strike, which is not the correct way to respond to racial injustice, and students shouldn't have to tell them that. My favorite of the Scholar Strike materials I found online was an article reposted on Twitter from The Daily Pennsylvanian. What made me initially click on the article was the cover image, which is a sign that reads "It's not white vs. black. It's everyone vs. racists." This resonated with me because of something that I brought up in one of our previous classes about my family. My parents have the twisted view that racial injustice is not an issue. I have tried to explain it to them, but they are set on the argument: "I didn't do anything wrong. The racial segregation and injustice that happened in the past isn't my fault." This is incredibly frustrating to hear because they are missing the point and making it about themselves. Scholar Strike was helpful for me in learning about how to combat comments like this without just getting frustrated and walking away. I learned that it's my responsibility to educate myself and the people around me. When I think of my collective identity, I think of being a member of the younger generation at a liberal arts college. My family tries to tell me that I'm being brainwashed by this education and environment, but I don't agree. I'm a proud advocate for equal rights, and I think that my generation has a lot of power -- we just have to use it in the right way. As a community, my friends and I attend events like marches for LGBTQ+ pride, women's rights, and Black Lives Matter. Whenever I go to these events, my parents beg me not to take or post any pictures. This is problematic because fighting for justice isn't something that should be done in secret. I'm proud of my community, and we will be loud. That is what makes us so impactful.