A Reflection on Race-Based Stress

A Reflection on Race-Based Stress

This particular phenomenon and how it plays into 'white fragility'.

37
A Reflection on Race-Based Stress
Everyday Feminism

Race-based stress is an interesting phenomenon that happens when white people take discussions of racism personally. Due to our historical prominence and continued legacy of being not the oppressed, but the oppressor, we have the privilege of being able to take everything as a personal attack, whereas people of color experience legitimate personal attacks every day and risk being judged if they take it personally. A judgment on an entire race is suddenly not okay if it refers to white people, whereas it’s completely fine due to stereotypes and ‘you’re blowing it out of proportion’ when marginalized racial groups speak out about their own oppression. Incidentally, this is why I have no sympathy for anyone who legitimately gets offended by the phrase ‘white tears’.

As for what types of experiences trigger race-based stress for white people, there is almost nothing that does not. The black entertainment network, racial diversification of models in advertising, the BLM movement, the backlash against the police department in the continued wake of the DAPL, even the simple act of telling white people that it’s not okay to use racial slurs. All of this is met with white people being offended, and there’s a simple reason why. We are so used to being superior to others and being met with no opposition- because that’s the way things are supposed to be, of course, what do you mean white superiority is bad and your neighbor Deborah is a racist?- that we have the social advantage of being able to take people wanting equal rights as an attack on ours, even though none of ours are being taken away. It is only recently that POC have felt comfortable enough to call us out on it in a way that any of us recognize, because they haven’t been able to before. If anyone finds themselves wondering what I mean by this, just remember that white people felt so entitled to their special water fountains that they passed Jim Crowe laws, so you can imagine how the average white person reacts to being criticized for racism. It’s only because of the radical liberals creating safe spaces at college that POC speaking out has been a feasible thing. The real leftist agenda, conservatives- telling you that no, you can’t yell that at your neighbor. How terrible, right?

It's difficult for white people to understand racism as a system, as aforementioned, due to always having a position of power. Someone speaking out about racism means that their system, and to that end, their power, is flawed. No one wants to hear that their position of control and the ways they express it is wrong, because that means they’re wrong. White people just have a habit of expressing it in more blatantly opposed ways than others. This is because we are still societally conditioned to see other races as inferior, no matter how much we want to pretend we’re not. Having our societal conditioning and our position of power criticized at the same time, in the same argument, is too much for our brains to handle. That’s multiple ways of pointing out that we’re wrong, and we can barely handle one. This leads to white fragility, as we respond to this with anxiety and an almost violent discomfort. The ability to respond that way in the first place is an act of privilege, as POC have to stand their guard when defending themselves, or they reinforce the view that they’re weak or otherwise inferior. (Conversely, a good example of the complications of racism is that when a black woman unapologetically defends herself, she’s seen as an assortment of swear words. We structure our interpretations of non-white individuals so they just can’t win.) The only antidotes to white fragility are the end of racism (unlikely) or white people shutting up and valuing the testimonials of POC individuals over their own hurt feelings (nearly impossible).

I, as a white individual, perpetuate racism by finding myself with thoughts and judgments of POC that are less than savory. They are never violently racist, but they are arguably worse, as microaggressions can do some serious damage and erode someone’s self-esteem. I have gotten very good at realizing that these thoughts are not mine, but how I have been taught to think. An important step for any white person to truly be a good ally is to break free of the brainwashing. It’s a long process, but it’s important to put oneself through it. I feel as if I have greatly benefitted from doing so, because the thoughts I speak of are now practically nonexistent. Resisting racism is something I have thrown myself into enthusiastically, and it is a rewarding practice. Using the privilege your skin color gives you to assist the efforts of marginalized people is a very good way to combat racism.

I think I could become more intentionally anti-racist by volunteering for more activism opportunities within the community. However, as a college student, I only have so much time on my hands. Instead, I do what we all should- call out racism when I see it, assist but not speak over POC individuals, and remain critical of the Eurocentric society we live in.