19 Lessons I've Learned In 19 Years

A Reflection On My 19 Years, Including 19 Important Lessons I've Learned

I still have so much to learn, but here's what I've figured out so far.

105
https://unsplash.com/photos/2OAUj3l6zc4

I've been living and breathing on this earth for a little over 19 years now. Although my life has nearly just begun, I feel like I've learned so much in just this short period of time. From all of the life lessons that I've learned the hard way or just through common sense, I feel that I've gained a lot of useful knowledge that can't be taught in the classroom. With that, here are 19 things that I've learned in my 19 years of life.

1. Not everyone is going to like you 

While there could be a lot of people around that like you, there could also be some people around who may not like you, and that's completely okay. Be happy with the people around you that do like you and make you feel good about yourself. Just do you, and don't let anyone try to get in the way of that.

2. Always be yourself

Never try to live up to anyone else's expectations. You don't have to "fit in" with the people around you. If people don't like you being yourself, then they aren't worth any of your time. Feel free to express yourself however you want, and don't let anyone else tell you that you can't do that. It's none of their business anyway.

3. Do things out of your comfort zone

Doing things out of your comfort zone help you grow as a person, and it also helps you meet new people. I like to think that if you really want to do something that you're scared to do, you're going to regret not doing it in the future. Take a risk. Go to a new club. Talk to more people around you.

4. Not everything is in your control

People, especially me, love to be in control of everything in their lives, but you can't always control everything that happens. Handle what you can control, and let everything that you can't control happen.

5. The best things in life really are free

While buying things in life is good, a lot of the good things in life that happens are free, such as having a deep talk with your friend, giving people homemade gifts, and getting an A on a test you've been studying for all week.

6. It's okay to make mistakes

Making mistakes is a part of growing up. It's a learning curve. If you didn't make mistakes, you wouldn't learn anything in life, and that's why it's so important to do.

7. Life is too short to care about what others think of you

Don't get that upset about what people think about you; they aren't worth any of your time. Life is too short to worry about people who don't like you. Enjoy it the most you can.

8. Work at your own pace

Some people work at a faster or slower pace than others, and that's completely okay and normal. Work at your own pace. It's better to get something done that's polished and took a bit longer to do than to get something done quickly that could be better.

9. The world doesn't revolve around you

If you're always in your head, thinking that people are going to disapprove of everything you do and that the world is out to get you, it's not true. The world doesn't revolve around you. People have their own lives that they are concerned about and pay attention more to themselves and their inner circles than they do about other people, so chances are you can go about doing whatever you want to do, and no one will really notice, because 99% of the time people don't really care.

Don't get in your head thinking that people don't like you because they gave you a dirty look or were rude to you once. It doesn't mean they don't like you; they could just be having a bad day.

10. It's okay to let it all out every now and then

If you're upset, don't keep it bottled in; it's not healthy. It's okay to cry and talk to someone about what issues you're having or what's on your mind. The more bottled in you are, the more likely you are to explode more than you would if you just let it out earlier.

11. Go with your gut

This goes for tests and life decisions. Choose whatever you think is right. If you're taking a test, choose your first choice rather than second guess yourself. If you're making a life decision, follow your heart and trust that it's with good intentions.

12. Don't compare yourself with others

Everyone is unique in their own way, so don't compare yourself to the people around you. There are people talented at many things, and although you may be weak in one spot, you could be strong in another. Focus on what you're good at, and try to improve on your weaknesses. Keep track of your own progress, not anyone else's.

13. There's always time to take care of yourself

There is always time to eat healthy, go to the gym, meditate, and get a good night sleep. If you plan everything out correctly, you can do it. Or, you could take a break from the stress and let yourself relax or gain back energy. There's always time to take care of yourself, and it'll be very beneficial for you in the end.

14. Be focused on yourself...but don't be selfish

It's always good to be focused on bettering yourself and making sure that you are the best you that you can be, but make sure that you also focus on your friends and family. Make sure they're doing okay, offer help if they need it, and always be there for them. While it's always okay to do good for yourself, do good for the people you care about as well, so they can be there for you too.

15. If someone in your life is toxic, let them go

A lot of people are blind to toxicity in their lives. They see the toxic person as one of the best people in their lives, even though they keep getting hurt constantly. Even if you don't want to lose this person who you think is amazing and you "couldn't live your life without," you can live your life without them.

It's so hard at first, trust me, I've been in this situation many times. However, it's all worth it in the end when you don't have a constant weight on your shoulders from a toxic relationship or friendship. You'll become happier with time.

16. Don't say "I'm sorry" all the time

Rather than saying "I'm sorry for being late," say something like "Thank you for waiting for me." Instead of saying, "I'm sorry for always bothering you about this," say "Thank you for helping me out." It's more positive, and constantly saying "I'm sorry" isn't good for the mind, because it makes you feel like you're a burden. Don't be sorry for asking for help, running a few minutes late for plans, or expressing your own thoughts.

17. It's okay to ask for help 

Nobody is perfect, and I have already emphasized this. Everyone makes mistakes and not everyone has certain skills on their own to do certain tasks. This is why it's okay to ask for help. If you need help with a homework problem, with your grade, with an issue in your life, or with your mindset, always ask for help.

Don't be afraid to do so. It'll be worth it, trust me.

18. Don't get too worried about the future

Live in the moment. Get rid of the "what if" thoughts that are in your mind, because nine times out of 10 your "what if" statement won't actually happen. Getting anxious about the future makes you forget to live in the moment and just enjoy where you're at. You'll miss the good days without even knowing that you're in them. Just keep in mind that everything will be okay and work itself out.

19. Do what makes you happy

Do something that you enjoy. Do you like writing? Do it. Do you like playing a certain instrument? Go for it. Do you want to make something taboo your career? Prove people wrong and become successful with your talent. Doing something that will make you happy. If you work hard enough at it, you'll grow, become better and will become successful.