Season 1: Westworld

Season 1: Westworld

Examining thoughts of Consciousness and reflecting on the season finale of Westworld

17
Season 1: Westworld

Westworld came to its season finale on Sunday with a bang everyone was waiting for. Dolores discovered what she was looking for even though she didn’t really know she was looking for it: the center of the maze. It is revealed that the maze is not a physical location like the man in black was expecting; it was actually the creation of consciousness. The questions of “what is real” and “am I truly free” are continuously raised throughout Westworld. These ideas are a heavy influence right up to the end.

The different story arcs Westworld presented each had their own way of representing different ideas of consciousness through a romantic lense. Bernard is a major example of this. Bernard begins the show as the Head of Programming. It is his responsibility to make sure the hosts are functioning properly. Except for Dr. Ford, he knows more about the hosts than anyone. The audience was given a shock when Dr. Ford revealed to Bernard the he was in fact a host too.

Dr. Ford created Bernard as a stand in for his departed friend and partner Arnold. Faced with a new reality, Bernard does a uniquely human thing: he begins to wonder about his life while questioning the meaning behind it all. Bernard was a workaholic who was trying to escape from the reality of his son’s death. Despite being told that he never had a son, he still felt a paternal connection to a memory of someone he never knew. In order to move beyond his grief and discover who he is, Bernard forces Dr. Ford at gunpoint to unlock his past and let him know himself. This scene is an allegory for man asking God for the answers in life. It also shows the powerlessness of man compared to God: fate, if you prefer. In his anguish, Bernard intended to kill Dr. Ford, only to find out that Ford was in control the whole time. Ford turns the tables and has Bernard execute himself while still being conscious yet under control from a greater power. Bernard dies only to be reborn again when Maeve, a host, has him brought back.

Maeve begins the series as the madame of the local saloon and brothel. She begins having memories of a past life, and eventually gains consciousness. She uses her abilities of influence and persuasion to gain the aid of two technicians who in turn provide her with the means of reaching higher consciousness by accessing her mind and increasing her cognitive functions. In time, Maeve uses this higher brain power to plan her great escape from Westworld. In the finale, she comes across Bernard’s body and has Felix, one of the technicians, bring him back to life: or online. Felix is taken back by the fact that Bernard is a host, and he has a moment where he looks down at his hands in desperation. Maeve eases his mind by telling him he is human. This creates a binary to the original revelation of Bernard being told he isn’t human.

After Bernard is conscious again, he is marveled by Maeve; until, he takes a look at her code. The audience, and Maeve, had been led to believe she was in control of her actions, but Bernard reveals her path was predetermined by someone else. She refuses to believe this and continues her escape. This moment calls Maeve’s sentience into question and leaves the audience with an ambiguous idea of her mind. If Maeve is another machine fulfilling its programming, then the other conscious hosts might be too. Westworld puts this idea of programming and free will into question. Human beings have free will, but there is also a basic genetic programming that we can’t deny. How is this any different from a host actively thinking while still performing its designed functions?

The grand finale of

Westworld gave the man in black what he wanted: a game with real consequences. Dolores found the reason for her visions of another life and her bloody past was revealed. She remembered that she was the one who killed Arnold because he had programmed her to do so. After this revelation, Dolores again follows the plan of one of her creators and executes Dr. Ford during his retirement speech before firing into the crowd of stockholders. Other hosts join in, and the season ends in gunfire. I’m curious to see how the next season will expand upon Dolores because she was built up to be this being that escaped the confines of her autonomous existence only to be thrown back in into the loop. The story doesn’t provide an answer to the questions of consciousness and the writers did this to allow for a another season. However, I believe that their will never be a definitive answer given. How could the writers create a dialogue or scenario that absolutely shows pure humanity with no guiding strings attached? Then again, how can anyone prove existence is an autonomous moment devoid of alien intentions?