Reducing flying anxiety

10 Ways to help your anxiety When Flying

It's okay, everyone gets nervous. You don't necessarily need medication to get through it.

280
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-person-people-train-527/

If you don't fly very often you may get nervous before a big trip. Many people get nervous before they fly for many reasons whether it be you are afraid of crashing, someone malicious being on the plane, heights, small spaces, or it's just the act of actually flying. Whatever the reason you are anxious about your flight, there are ways to help calm you down without taking any medication.

1. If possible, fly with somebody.

Flying with someone always makes the process a little easier. They are there with you to help you get through security, find your way to the terminal, baggage claim, and they are a great distraction on the plane. Talking to someone during the flight will make it seem like it goes by much quicker and you will most likely not realize minor turbulence.

2. Look up activities to do once you get to your destination.

The more excited you are about the location you are flying to, the easier it will be to get through the plane ride. Look up sights to see, places to eat, even make an itinerary! Some planes even have free wifi where you can do this on the plane on your phone or laptop. Just put your destination into Pinterest and you'll be entertained for hours.

3. Pre-download entertainment to your phone.

Download a movie, game or music to your phone before you leave. The sounds will help distract you from the noise the plane naturally makes and will help you feel more comfortable. Putting on music or a movie is also a great way to help keep your nerves down during take-off and landing which tend to be the bumpiest parts of the trip.

4. Take the complimentary drinks or snacks.

Some people feel nauseous when they are on planes. Most plane rides, as long as they're not too short, will offer complimentary beverages. Take a Sprite or something that makes you feel comfortable it will help calm your stomach as well as putting your mind in a relaxed state.

5. Sit towards the front of the plane.

If possible sit towards the front of the plane. At or in front of the wings tends to feel less turbulence and is a bit quieter too. If you are feeling anxious, the smoother the ride the better you will feel. Sometimes these seats cost a little extra but if you are really anxious it may just be worth it.

6. Chew gum.

Gum not only will help you pop your ears but the minty flavor helps calm a sour stomach as well as stimulate your mind. Chewing gum may not seem like an exciting task but it does give you something to do and something you can concentrate on if need be.

7. Listen to the flight attendant.

It doesn't matter if you have flown 100 times or not at all, listen to the flight attendant when they give their safety demonstration. This will help you feel calmer as you will know what to do in an emergency situation. Being prepared tends to ease many people's minds.

8. Download the airline app.

You are more than welcome to print your boarding passes instead of using the app for the airline but the app may still be useful. Your plane may change terminals and those large boards can be overwhelming. The app will give you specifics about your flight and help make sure you're in the right place. Sometimes they even have maps of the airport to help you navigate and find some food.

9. Watch the flight attendant.

The flight attendant has most likely been on more flights than you have. They know what is supposed to happen when it is supposed to happen, and how it is supposed to happen. Watching what they do and their reactions during landing and take off may ease your mind that everything is okay.

10. Dress appropriately.

Some people like to be comfortable on a flight and some feel that dressing up gives them more confidence. Have a purpose for your outfit whatever you choose, and remember airplanes tend to be a little chilly so bring a sweater or a blanket!