Beyonce's "Lemonade": Redefining the Music Video

Beyonce's "Lemonade" has nothing to do with lemons, but everything to do with what we can make from them.

23

If you're as big of a Beyhive member as I am, you've probably been anticipating Beyonce's album release for months now. Though there were many conspiracy theories about when it would be released (April 19th because of an Instagram photo where two of the models were wearing the numbers "4" and "19" and standing next to one another, April 4th because of her love for the number four, etc.), the only news site that came close to guessing when it would be dropped was E! Online, though they were pretty wrong about who she was planning to collaborate with-- Adele and Beyonce, really guys? The album has been quite a success regardless of the incorrect speculations and unannounced premiere date, but people unfortunately have been focusing on the meaning behind Bey's lyrics and video rather than appreciating the hour-long film and 12 songs for what they are. And so, because I couldn't care less about who Jay-Z is sleeping with, here is a review of each song on the album and the accompanying videos.

Formation

Though the video for this song is placed at the end of Beyonce's hour-long visual album and had an entirely different release date than the rest of Lemonade, I had to include it. Beyonce surprised everyone when she dropped the single a day before her performance at the Super Bowl. This song is Beyonce taking pride in everything society has told her (and many women like her) to cover up, change, or be ashamed of. It was a much-needed self-love anthem that expresses, "I dream it, I work hard, I grind 'til I own it." Beyonce started a conversation with this song that I hope will continue in an educational manner and help progress the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

Pray You Catch Me

The visuals were so stunning for this album, even from the very beginning. The lighting throughout the whole film has an overcast feeling to it and the beginning was no exception. She opens the film with, "You can taste the dishonesty/ It's all over your breath" and people were prepared for s**t to go down. Her voice in this song is so delicate, it's almost like she's saying, "I'm going to call you out, but I'm also going to bake you a plate of cookies." The instrumentals of this song are very simple which really brings attention to her voice. Though the song does not have many lyrics, she still is able to carry out her voice throughout the song in an incredible manner.

Hold Up

I'm willing to bet money that this is going to be one of the most popular songs on this album. This song is the anthem for every woman who's been done wrong but cared too much to say something. The instruments on this song are just enough to not be overpowering of Bey's voice but they still add that extra "umph" factor. She sings, "Hold Up, they don't love you like I love you" and "what a wicked way to treat the girl that loves you." If someone ever cheats on me, I hope they're prepared to hear this song.

Don't Hurt Yourself

The backup vocals on this song are amazing, resembling a gospel-like choir backing up Beyonce in her claim to war. Beyonce brings the New York vibe to this Southern-inspired film through the venue that I can only assume is a graffiti-filled parking garage of some sort, but the lighting gives this video that "I'm gonna f**k you up" vibe that every Beyhive member is waiting for after singing about all these wrongdoings. This song probably has the most computer-generated noise on it, making it not one of favorites, but the lyrics, "If you lie to me, you lie to yourself" are so freaking true that I don't even care about the weird screeches every so often.

Sorry

She "ain't sorry." Peep Serena Williams in this video slaying so hard you cry because you will never be her (maybe that's just something I do, oh well). This is Beyonce's follow-up to "fight me" with a "glad we fought, you're in the wrong but guess who's going to apologize? Me because I'm the woman." But she does NOT apologize. Beyonce is unapologetically a female who has done no wrong but stand up for herself. It is scientifically proven that women say they are sorry for things they are not in the wrong for. On that note, "middle fingers up."

Six Inch

This is the song I want to play when I walk into a room and everybody looks to me for being a BOSS. This song is my new anthem, for my sassy moments of being myself and slaying. This song features a lot of computer-generated backtrack as well, but it is a collaboration with the Weeknd, so the fake music is somewhat expected (This is not a diss on the Weeknd, I actually like his music. It is pretty heavily altered by software though.). Her voice is very intriguing in this song, like "listen to my story, alright." And it's totally a power-anthem for women everywhere. She sings, "She too smart to crave material things / She pushing herself day and night / She grinds from Monday to Friday / Works from Friday to Sunday." Just do your thing ladies...and SLAY.

Daddy Lessons

This song screams New Orleans Jazz and a little bit of country flare; it's not your typical Beyonce song. When it first came on I was a bit confused, but it's actually ended up being one of my favorite songs on the album. Beyonce talks about how her dad told her that if she ever met a man like him, she should shoot him. While I'm sure her dad would not advocate to shoot someone, it does bring to light the fact that Beyonce's father cheated on her mother. The album could potentially be from the perspective of Beyonce's mother, with this song being the transition into Beyonce's realization of who her father was. Either way, her vocals have an incredible amount of soul in this song and the horns at the beginning give this song that Southern Jazz NOLA love.

Love Drought

Another love ballad...come on Bey, I was expecting more things I could dance to at the club. The words of this song express, "You and me could move a mountain," insinuating that the love she shares with someone else is very powerful, but the entire song is about how she gives and doesn't receive anything in the relationship. I would personally love to choreograph a modern dance to this routine, because she has power in her voice and clear emotion behind it. It would be a very flowing dance, which isn't really my style, but to the person reading this who does have that style, choreograph a dance and hit me up with a video when you're finished so I can learn your routine. It's bound to be dramatic and heart wrenching, just like this song, so please don't disappoint me.

Sandcastles

I don't like the rhythm and note that she starts singing on in this song...it sounds pretty awkward. Also, this song is super confusing because suddenly Beyonce is taking responsibility for some things that went wrong in a relationship...I thought we were blaming people here? She sings, "I made you cry / When I walked away." Like good girl, you walk away. But OH WAIT, the video shows you embracing your partner...alright then. I don't care for this song, the video, or the meaning. I could've done without it.

Forward

This song changes the tone of the film from a love life confessional to a political statement. The frame above shows Mike Brown's framed photo being held by his mom, and man that hit me hard. No mother should have to experience the loss of their son, especially due to racial profiling. The snapshots of Trayvon Martin and Tamir Rice's mothers along with more photos of the same nature (in addition to the photo above) really hit me hard. These women are extremely strong, and that's exactly what Beyonce's whole album wants to tell women-- be strong, regardless of the injustices and discrimination you face just for being you. The lyrics say, "It's time to listen, it's time to fight / Forward / Now we're going to hold doors open for a while / Now we can be open for a while." The simplicity of this song only having a piano instrumental brings it so much power -- which also allows for the viewer to focus on the images. There's power in what we see and power in what we do about it.

Freedom

In the video she starts this song acapella, and WOW. Not that she needed to prove it (I mean the lip syncing scandal was quite a while ago), but Beyonce can SING. This song also has so much meaning and soul. Along with "Alright" by Kendrick Lamar, this song is totally going to be the power anthem for #BlackLivesMatter. BUT WAIT -- Kendrick is featured on this song as well! Beyonce sings, "Freedom, freedom, I can’t move / Freedom, cut me loose." With the mass incarceration rates being extremely high, especially for people of color, this song is a great addition to Lamar's performance at the 2016 Grammy Awards. I can't wait to see the activism that is born from this song.

All Night

If Bey and Jay were really breaking things off, would this snapshot of their TATTOOED ring fingers have been in the ending of the film? Along with videos from their WEDDING? I don't think so. But enough about other people's love lives. This song is very calm and ties everything all together. It's just Beyonce walking around and singing, with snapshots of important moments from her life and other people's lives. I took the ending message as "the thing we all share is love." It's true. Love is something that all of us are capable of experiencing, and Beyonce concludes her video with the idea that if we all focused on putting our energy into love instead of hate, the world would be a better place. We can all learn from that message.

Overall, this album redefined the music video. Whether you like it or not, it's going to have the cultural impact of Michael Jackson's Thriller. Beyonce is an amazing, talented artist -- possibly the greatest entertainer of our generation -- and therefore I think her album deserves much praise. The activism she has been involved in has brought national attention (see this, this, and this) to the problems that people of color in America are facing. Over 50 years after the Civil Rights Movement, you would think that people would be educated on the subject by now, but for some reason this country is still falling short. So thank you, Beyonce, for educating America about the struggles of people of color. I'm proud to support you and the fight for #BlackLivesMatter. If you would like the join the movement or learn more about it, visit http://blacklivesmatter.com/.