Why Recruitment Is Worth The Week

Why Recruitment Is Worth The Week

Everyone should consider going Greek.

33
Why Recruitment Is Worth The Week

Even though it seems like summer just started, I can't wait to go back to school and start recruitment. Joining a sorority was hands down the best decision I made during my freshman year of college. Coming from out of state, I entered school knowing no one. Orientation helped to introduce me to some new people, but I only really connected to one or two of them. The first week of school, I basically only hung out with guys that I met at orientation. Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with guys, but I am a girls' girl through and through. That's where recruitment came in. After the first day, I met girls in my walking group who I connected with. And after the week had gone by and Bid Day came, I knew that I had found my people.

Being a science major, it's particularly hard for me to make friends in my classes. Even though I tried to introduce myself to my neighbors in class, everyone would say a quick "Hi," and get back to their note taking. Considering that I'm a social person, I don't think I would have as much of a positive freshman year experience as I did had I not rushed.

The sorority that I joined has shown me so much more love and support than I ever expected. The girls in the house were all extremely welcoming and inclusive from Bid Day on. Not only just the class above me either; the juniors and seniors always make a point to look out for the younger members when everyone is out, and walking across campus, you can guarantee a bright-eyed "Goodmorning!" without a doubt. There is always someone wiling to accompany you to go get coffee, or their nails done, or even to go to a Bodypump class.

Even if you don't think that sorority recruitment is for you, I highly suggest that you at least go through two days of rush. If you feel like you're still suffering two days in, you can always drop. But I promise you, if you make it through the whole week, as unbearable as it may seem, a strong and amazing sisterhood is waiting for you on the other side.