Recruitment At Virginia Tech: Your Common Concerns Answered

Don't let these keep you from rushing!

27

Thinking about rushing in the winter but still have a few reservations holding you back? Look no further; I’ll reassure your misgivings.

1. “My parents think Greek life is all about partying and that it’s going to be a bad influence”

I know my dad got his perspective of sororities and fraternities from a few PG-13 movies and maybe one actual article about ONE college where things got out of hand. BUT, you don’t go to just any college; you go to Virginia Tech. Where getting good grades is part of the standards you are held to when you join a sorority, so if anything your grades will only go up. And trust me, you can always find another sister staying in and studying that you can hit up for company.

Also, each chapter has their own unique philanthropy they are passionate about that you get the opportunity to participate in. And you also get the chance to work with other organizations on campus to help out other causes. For me, I love seeing how people get creative about raising money, like different games and incentives to give back to the Blacksburg community. Seriously, we’re one bombass crowd to be a part of.

Being able to put down on your resume that you were a member of a sorority is also a huge plus. When I went to Career Fair last March, almost every professional I talked to was an alumni from some chapter or another, and it made the conversation so easy. It also shows what kind of leader you are on your campus, and it sets you apart from the pool of applicants all competing for the same job.

Lastly, the best part by far, you have a new group of friends to lean on. It might take semester to get use to things, but trust me those friendships you’ll make are invaluable and will help you #survive college.

2. “My parents say it’s too expensive”

This is a completely understandable concern; I know for me it was the main reason my parents wouldn’t let me go through recruitment. But guess what, we are grown ass women and can pay for shit ourselves now. I saved up, and there wasn’t much my parents could say after that since it wasn’t their money on the line anymore. Also, when money did get tight and I was struggling to pay the last of my dues, I explained my situation to my financial chair and we worked something out. Oh, and did I mention that some chapters offer scholarships? This past summer I was selected to receive one, and my parents were so thankful for it with me and my 2 siblings now all in college. I would not have had that opportunity if I never went through recruitment.

3. "What if my best friend and I join different chapters?"

Literally everyone I know has a best friend in a different chapter. Personally, I have quite a few, and I even have some that aren’t in Greek life at all. It’s not like there’s a rule about being friends with people in other chapters, and that shouldn’t be something holding you back. I know for me I was worried we would get so caught up in our own chapters that we never saw each other. Yeah, you’ll both want to branch out, but trust me your friendship isn’t going anywhere.

4. "I’m not a freshman though; won’t it be weird that I’m older than the rest of my pledge class?"

I swear no one remembers that I’m a year older than the girls in my pledge class. Maybe it’s because I’m still immature af, or maybe it’s just because people don’t care--seriously it’s not an issue. Plus, if you’re doing a 5th year or going to grad school, you still got girlies to hangout with. “Age is but a number”--I hate whenever my mom says philosophical quotes like this to me, but in this situation she’s right. Don’t let it bother you; it’s only an issue if you make it one.

5. "I’m worried about being hazed as a new member"

Maybe that’s still some barbaric tradition on other campuses, but here at Virginia Tech that’s not a thing and it’s not supported by any Panhellenic chapter. If anything, being a new member will be the best time of your life! Your new sisters just want to get to know you, make sure you are having fun, and want you to feel safe. Seriously, if I could go back and be a new member one last time I would; some of my favorite memories are during those first months getting to know my new chapter.