The Recovery Process

The Recovery Process

What it is like to heal

100
The Recovery Process
Those Catholic Men

Healing, in any context, requires time. It takes durations much longer than it took to get our injuries in the first place sometimes. When it comes to cleaning the wound, getting the surgery, or breaking the habit, we have to make a commitment—sign a contract—to persistently and dedicatedly pursue healing. It hurts and we are sometimes subject to pain much greater than the pain inflicted upon us by the injury. Sometimes it is hard to stitch the cut rather than leave it to pour out, it is harder to put the shoulder back in place rather than leave it to dangle, it is harder to progressively use less and less rather than continue our meaningless, numb consumption.

In our urges, it is much easier to get our fix rather than break the cuffs that bind us.

I think of the women undergoing hip replacement. After the surgery, she will feel pain, pain greater than that of her weak, inconsistent hip before. She won’t be able to walk, her side will hurt, and she will pump her body full of meds enough to make more mild the pain—but not numb it. She will force herself to move as her side feels on fire and stabbed. Her husband will wait, tirelessly, by her side as her muscles spasm and she vomits from the discomfort.

That is the key I think, discomfort. We fight everything, especially that which caused the initial pain, to the point where rest isn’t in sight. Our bodies have to reject our minds creating a sort of dissonance libel to make us vomit—to make us sick to our stomachs. Should we potentially regress or start to lose our strength, that discomfort will be a reminder to our weary minds to toughen up and power through.

We have to get through the uncomfortable stage in order to get used to the change our bodies are experiencing—we have to sit with that first awkward conversation with a stranger in order for a friendship to grow.

In other words, our hearts must be strong, our minds tough, and our wills unwavering. We will weep to show just how much we are giving. But it is through this strength that true bravery shows. Warren G. Harding, regarding America, states;

America's present need is not heroics but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution but restoration.

Bravery is not defined by doing something instead of something or someone else, nor is it defined by making an instant broad-sweeping change. It is defined by the willingness to do the hard thing, to make even, to distribute to each their due, to bring peace. This takes time and no self-sacrificing for another can clean our cuts. We have to sacrifice ourselves, for ourselves.

The pain that comes as we attempt to rid ourselves of a consistent problem will bring a greater pain, for a long duration. However, we will rise from the grave mightier and more prepared than ever. No longer will we face the constant struggle for we have passed the pain, the discomfort, and will be healed; should God change our hearts.