Recapturing The Wonder Of Scripture

Recapturing The Wonder Of Scripture

Finally, you can see the Bible clearly.

357
Recapturing The Wonder Of Scripture
Ben White

What’s so special about the Bible? Sometimes, even as Christians, we forget the blessing and wonder of the Scriptures. When we open the Word we are aren’t just opening a book. We are opening our minds and hearts to receiving the instruction and encouragement of God.

It is through Scripture that God speaks to us and the Spirit works in us. It is a miraculous great gift of God that He cares to teach us and lead us.

Still, the glory of this book can be lost in the mundane trivia of our lives. What is a gift can become a chore when we become too self-consumed—too caught up with our obligations and our concerns.

Let us not forget or minimize the Bible. Let us not forget its power, its truth and its worth. Instead let’s remember what the Bible really is and who it is that bestowed it.

1. Scripture is God Breathed

Scripture is inspired. It is without error. Whenever you open your Bible, never forget that this is God’s truth given to you by Him through the use of human authors.

“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

2 Timothy 3:16-17

2. God’s Word is Powerful

The Bible has a special power to open our eyes and speak to us. It has the power to bring truth and conviction. As John Piper says, “So the Word of God penetrates to the deepest place in our lives and assesses what's there. Is it good or bad?” It shows us our sin and can initiate change as we read it and grow in relationship with God.

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”

Hebrews 4:12

3. The Bible is our Light

Without the Bible, we are left to find our own path. Yet, how can we know where to go when there is so much darkness surrounding us? The Bible sheds light and steers us. It is our map, our compass that steers us toward Christ and His will for our life.

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”

Psalm 119:105

4. It Guards Us from Sin

Scripture is the foundation for morality. God is the definition of good, the creator of the world. His moral laws are designed to keep us from harm and lead us to a life of holiness. In His Word we find Scriptures that tell us how to live a righteous life. Being in the Word keeps God’s commandments fresh in our mind so we may not sin against Him.

“I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:11

5. Scripture Reading Reaps Blessing

Jesus says in Luke 11 that those who hear the Word and do it reap blessing. The first step is immersing oneself in the Word, absorbing it. The next step is obedience. Those who do this are blessed—blessed by relationship with God, blessed with the Holy Spirit, blessed by a life of surrender, blessed by eternal life.

“He replied, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.’”

Luke 11:28

6. It Endures Forever

God’s promises are firm—unchanging. Where else can we learn about the promises of the Lord except in the Bible? We can trust God and we can know God through the Bible. The world may shift under our feet but God and His words remains unchanging and true.

“The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God endures forever”

Isaiah 40:8

The Bible is so much more than a dusty old book. It is so much more than mere paper and ink. It leads us, speaks to us, and connects us to the Savior and Lord of all. It guards us from sin and teaches us about God and ourselves. It is truth in a world of deception and twisted truths. It is our light and our extreme privilege to read.

Let us never forget the gift of your Word, Lord. We are grateful.