Reasons You Should Work During College

Reasons You Should Work During College

You can't spend all that time in the dorm.

2
Reasons You Should Work During College
Wikipedia Common

Disclaimer: I know that college students reading this probably cringed from the title. I get it.

But in all honesty, working during college is not as bad as it seems. You hear a lot of griping and complaining from students who hold part-time jobs, and they can certainly be taxing on your energy and schedule, but here are some reasons why picking up a part-time job during your schooling is a smart decision:

1. It teaches you how to balance

Sure, no one jumps for joy at the thought of adding one more thing to their already-loaded schedule, but working during college has taught me a lot about time management. Without a job, it would definitely be easier to get all my homework and studies done and still have time for social life, but adding work to the mix really helps me allot my time to what's important. And contrary to popular belief, work will not kill your social life unless you're overextending yourself.

2. It invokes a sense of responsibility

There's a lot of differences between going to work and going to class. One of the biggest differences? You're only responsible for yourself when it comes to making it to lecture on time. At work, you're saddled with a lot more than just what's easy or convenient for you; you're working with real people in the real world. Having a job helps instill that sense of connection and responsibility to the outside world.

3. You're going to (probably) be working for most of the rest of your life

It's unavoidable: we're here to get a degree that's going to help us get jobs. This might be only one part of our lives, but it's going to affect us for the foreseeable future. Learning what it's like to have a job now, even if it's something unrelated to your field, will help you understand a little bit of what your future holds (even the fast-food jobs).

4. It will help give you valuable skills

Picking up customer service skills or a trade can be one of your most valuable assets upon graduation. I know people who had experience in a starter level position before they acquired their degree, and these people had more doors opened for them later. Learning how to give good service and gaining valuable experience will certainly not hurt you.

5. The right job can be a lot of fun

Not every job out there is for you, but if you find one that fits your skills, personality and interests you'll be amazed at how much you'll enjoy it. I never knew how much I would enjoy some of the jobs I've worked if I hadn't tried them first. Your personal preference might not be the only thing to consider, but it's certainly important. Of course some jobs won't suit you, but the best ones are the ones that make you feel good when you're there.

6. Let's be real: you want (and probably need) the money

It's college. Every penny counts. Whether you get a refund check when payment time is finished or not, you're still going to be scrapping for cash eventually. And that social life that you so desperately want to have? You're going to need at least some money for it. Not everything is free. So why not spend a few of your hours making money so that you can save or spend it?

Working during college sounds like a chore, and sometimes it is. But other times, you'll find that it's well worth the struggle.