Reasons Why Your Big Is The Best

Reasons Why Your Big Is The Best

Everyone thinks they have the absolute best big ever, and to be honest, everyone is totally right.

61
Reasons Why Your Big Is The Best
Taylor Fisher

Joining a sorority was not on my to-do list when I went to college my freshman year, but for some reason, I decided to sign up for formal recruitment anyway. Ultimately, I accepted a bid into the Delta Theta chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha, and it has already made my college experience so much better (and it has only been one year). Being in Greek life allows you to meet so many different and unique individuals that you otherwise may have never talked to, and it gives you so many great skills and experiences that you will keep for a lifetime. However, the best part of joining a sorority is getting your big (especially after the totally nerve-racking, emotional, and crazy week that is before big/little reveal), and that is because the relationship between a big and little is unlike any other.

She is there for you whenever you need her beginning the minute you are claimed as her little.

She listens to you when you need to vent about your feelings, gives you advice about school or boys or the best things to do on the weekends, and is up to hang out when you have nothing to do. She becomes an instant best friend who cares about you to no end and will have your back no matter what.

She teaches you the ropes of being in a sorority because you don’t have any clue what you’re doing at first.

In the beginning, you aren’t sure what to do or where to go since you joined, so naturally you get your big in enough time for her to help you learn what it means to be a sister and how to best represent your letters.

She will always be there to pick you up when you’re down.

She cares about you and wants you to be happy, so she’ll try her best to make you laugh when you’re having a bad day. Or she’ll bring you candy and go on an ice cream run with you to help cheer you up.

Being with your big is judgment free so you can absolutely be yourself.

You can say or do whatever you want to act yourself and be completely open without them thinking you are crazy or awkward (or they are crazy and awkward with you to make you feel better).

She always encourages and supports you in whatever you want to do.

You don’t think you’re going to ace that exam? Your big will be there to reassure you that you can do it. You’re on the track team and you only have one home meet the whole year? You better believe that your big is going to be there to cheer you on louder than anyone else. No matter what it is, she is always there to support you.

You can count on her to like and comment on all your Instagram pictures to tell you how good you look.

But really, who else thinks you look smoking and comments the little fire emoji under all your selfies?

She will spoil you with an abundance of hand-me-down t-shirts and letters to hang in your room.

It is literally like Christmas on big/little reveal night because you get a crate full of all things *insert your sorority here.* Whether they are wooden letters for your walls, pictures frames for all your family memories, or old shirts that she doesn’t want anymore, she will always give you more than you even deserve without any questions asked.

She acts like your mother away from home, will usually call you her child, and is protective over you just like your actual mother would be.

Your big will do anything for you and looks over you to make sure everything is okay (which is exactly what my mom does when I’m at home). She is honest with you and only wants the best for you, so she checks in to see how things are going and tells you when you need to get your act together.

She is a role model to you in more ways than one.

You look up to her because she is talented, passionate, outgoing, and genuine. She works hard in school, in clubs, in life in general, and inspires you to be your best as well. She’s a leader, a great sister, and an all-around great person in every aspect of her life, and you aspire to follow in her foot steps and set a good example for others just as she has done.

She loves you just as much as you love her.

You really aren’t sure what you would do without your big. It’s an unconditional love that you didn’t think would be any different from other friendships, but the relationship between a big and little is something very special, and you’ll love each other to the end.

So, to the best big in the world, thank you for being so amazing. Thank you for accepting me and welcoming me into your family to love me and be there for me always. Thank you for being a role model, mentor, inspiration, and guidance when I need it. But overall, thank you for just being you. You really are the best big for me, and I love you.

P.S. I knew I could count on you to be the only person to respond to my Facebook status asking for ideas to write about this week (and naturally you told me to write about you, so that’s what I did).