Reasons Why High School Is Traumatizing

Reasons Why High School Is Traumatizing

The "real world" is nothing how I thought it was going to be; it's better.

901
Reasons Why High School Is Traumatizing
Tumblr.com

High school was all over the place for me and for most people I know. When I was going into high school, my family was both excited and nervous for me. I didn’t really get why until I was actually in it. Now that I look back, it was all kind of intimidating, and nothing I’ve experienced after graduating has been similar to it. Here are some reasons why I feel that high school is traumatizing.

You start at the bottom of the food chain.

For some reason, being the youngest in high school is seen as a bad thing. You get looked down on by the students, and sometimes even the upperclassmen teachers. It creates a divide among all of the students that shouldn’t exist. There are “wars” between the grades. It may be seen as fun and games, but this actually transfers out into the hallways and classes. It makes you think that maybe once you graduate high school and start college, you’ll get eaten alive. However, that’s definitely not the case. In college, being a freshman is fun and exciting for everyone! Everyone remembers what it’s like moving away from home and starting a new life. Graduating from high school and going on to college is like a celebration that never ends.

You feel obligated to make it the best four years of your life, since that’s what you’ve heard.

High school could have been the best four years for some, and that’s where it begins. The idea that because one thing was enjoyable for most, then it will be enjoyable for all. Don’t get me wrong, high school had its good times for me, but I always felt like there had to be something better. We were all so young, I felt it was all too soon for us to already be experiencing our “best years.” Enjoy high school because you’re still young and don’t have the same responsibilities as you would if you were on your own. Being on your own is great too though, so don’t feel like you must do all of the best things in high school. There are so many things waiting for you once you're older.

People change a lot during these years, so the friends you started high school with most likely won't be the friends you end high school with.

I recall friends that I had in high school, and now I don’t know much about them other than what I see on social media. Whether it was a falling out or just drifting apart, I wish them nothing but the best. People come and go into your life for a reason, so don’t sweat it. You’re going to change too. College has a buffet of people who are finding themselves or who are just living it up, so don’t feel pressured to meet your “friends for life” in the short four years.

Senior year is more like a year to spend all of your money.

Teachers brainwash you to think your senior year is going to be your most difficult scholastically, but that’s not really the case, aside from maybe two classes. I did well the first three years, so I was able to take it easy with a few classes my senior year. I remember senior year being more about everyone being stressed out taking finals and applying for colleges. Also, everyone was going broke with dances, football games, spirit days, application fees, test fees, etc. It was great. Little did I know that was preparing me for broke college life. Being broke in college is actually kind of fun though. It’s like a game of what new foods you can create with only $3 in your bank account.

It makes you think college is going to be even more traumatizing.

I remember teachers in high school lecturing about how professors in college would not tolerate certain behaviors, like poor presentation, not taking notes during lecture, that sort of thing. Surprise, surprise, most professors don’t really care what you do. You can show up to class in a snuggie and be taking notes in purple pen on pink paper and the professor wouldn’t care as long as you showed up to class and you’re doing the work.

You shouldn’t let high school determine what the rest of your life is going to be like, because the “real world” everyone talked about is nothing like high school. Just focus on your work, have fun and don’t stress so much about make it “the best.” Looking back, I’m so thankful I’m out and in college now. I can confidently say these have been the best years of my life.