5 Reasons Friends With Benefits Relationships Are Not Worth It

5 Reasons Friends With Benefits Relationships Are Actually Not So Friendly

Calling myself out on this one, not gonna lie.

149

According to Urban Dictionary, friends-with-benefits are "two friends who trust each other enough to engage in sexual activity without fear of hurting the other's feelings." This kind of relationship can be extremely toxic and can ruin a person's view on love forever. Here's why...

It ruins the friendship.

The second you bring sex into the question is the second that the relationship goes from strictly platonic to a blurred mess. You're constantly second-guessing their motives, and if they actually still care about you as a friend and as a person, or if they just care about your body.

Someone always catches feelings.

It is literal science that chemicals release in your brain that cause you to become attached to a person when you have sex with them. Do that over and over, and then combine it with "friendship," you're bound to catch feelings for your friend-with-benefits, and chances are they either don't like you back like that, or they don't want a serious relationship.

Jealousy is inevitable.

Even if you don't want a relationship with your friend-with-benefits, it's still going to piss you off to see them flirting with other people. Just because you don't want them like that doesn't mean you want them to be with anyone else, right?

It'll end at some point.

A friends-with-benefits relationship will not last forever. Every single one of them has an expiration date. So why even bother? You're closing yourself off from something better. While focusing all your time and energy into this relationship, you could be missing an amazing, real relationship that's passing you by.

It won't end in friendship.

Unless you're a robot, you're not going to come out of this unscathed. Whether you got your heartbroken, or lost a friend, there are consequences to these types of relationships. You're probably going to grow to resent the person for not living up to your expectations, for breaking your heart, or for catching feelings for you when all you wanted was no strings attached. Like I said before, it ruins the friendship, and it will instill a little something in you that might make you think you were never good enough for the real deal.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.