Reasons To Add This Country To Your Travel List

Because this country isn't exactly on everyone's list.

65
Lilo Dizdarevic

Beautiful sandy beaches, historically rich cities, blue-green Mediterranean waters, amazing hospitality...

Need I say more?

I've visited a few countries this past year alone and there's one that seems stuck in my mind. One that I constantly find myself craving to travel back to. No, it wasn't Greece with its beautiful islands and tasty desserts. Nor was it Italy, where I walked through the Colosseum, made a wish at the Trevi fountain and experienced walking through the ancient city of Pompeii.

It was actually Turkey.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Turkey????" I'll admit, I wasn't too excited about visiting the country either. I was more excited for Greece and Italy. I mean, who wouldn't be excited for a cruise around the Greek Islands with Italy as your final destination? Don't get me wrong, the countries were still beautiful in every way possible. But it was Turkey that had my heart. I encourage everyone and anyone to get out there and experience it for themselves, so I compiled a list of 10 reasons why people should really start adding Turkey to their travel lists and also some tips along the way about the culture.

1. The conversion rate is amazing

Every Turkish lira is 35 U.S. cents. I bought souvenirs left and right while in Turkey because everything was so cheap! If that doesn't put Turkey on your list then I don't even know what will...

JK, I do know--so keep reading because it gets better, I promise.

2. Apple tea

Anyone who knows me knows I hate tea. Always have and always will. Never cared for the taste until I got to Turkey. Every building that we entered offered us a cup of apple tea. I wasn't super excited when that was what they were offering, but in Turkey, it's considered rude to turn down the offer. So, of course, I am a nice person, so I took the offers. It was delicious. It tasted like apple juice. A tea version of apple juice and it came in a really cute cup.

So the apple tea probably isn't going to put Turkey on your list but I just thought it was a good add since I hate tea and this country has a tea that I actually like.

3. The Bosphorus

A quick little geography lesson about Turkey: Turkey is partially in Europe and partially in Asia. The Bosphorus is a natural strait that forms part of the continental boundary that separates European Turkey from Asian Turkey.

That being said, it's just beautiful. It's in the center of everything and there are some really great restaurants that are nestled under the bridges along the Bosphorus. Just amazing, good food, good people, good vibe. It's beautiful.

4. The Grand Bazaar

Also in the city center is where you can find the Grand Bazaar. It's one of the biggest and oldest covered markets in the world with currently around 5,000 shops inside! It's extremely fun to bargain with the people who own shops there and you can get items for super cheap sometimes if you know how to bargain correctly. You definitely have to be careful and know when to walk away. Also, Turkey is a whole different culture. So if you're a female who is walking through the Grand Bazaar and you're not conservatively dressed then expect some catcalls and some unwanted attention from the locals.

5. The Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia

Pictures really don't do these places justice. Even seeing them in person it looked like photographs; the birds flying around the minarets, all the beautiful colors that faded over time. Neither words nor pictures could do these places justice.

6. The Acropolis of Pergamum (Pergamon)

I always loved history, specifically ancient Greek history. Now, going into this trip I figured that I'd get to see most of the historical stuff in Greece but I was definitely wrong. There was so much history in Turkey, so much architectural beauty, it was amazing to be on a site where there was so much history. This is a must-see for any history lover like myself.

Pictures really don't do it justice. I wish I could have gotten everything in one! But there was so much more beauty on this specific site. Tunnels, pathways overlooking the Aegean Sea and an amazing amphitheater. Being on this site was definitely a workout.

7. Kusadasi

I never in a million years thought Turkey would have beautiful beaches but, again, Turkey has amazed me in yet another category! We visited a small beach town called Kusadasi. Now, it's nothing like Mexico or the Dominican. You have to pay for a lounge chair on the beach but there's a busy street right behind you full of shops and restaurants (the closer I am to food the more of a plus it is for me).

Another plus, the sun sets just perfectly along the water creating a beautiful scene.

8. Gelibolu (Gallipoli)

I've heard this one said a few different ways and seen it spelled a few different way so I added both. Gelibolu was a small stop on our way out of Kusadasi but was well worth it. It was a beautiful city that was left untouched of some westernized developments like in some parts of Turkey. It is the smallest little seaport town, but it had some of the most beautiful views.

9. The House of the Virgin Mary

This little house was believed to have once been the Home of the Virgin Mary. What fascinated me about the site was that the shrine inside of the house is both a Catholic and Muslim shrine. The shrine inside is not huge and is often described as a "modest chapel." Everything inside is so well-preserved and no one is allowed to take photos inside the house. It was a small walkthrough, but I'm telling you it was well worth seeing. Once you pass through the house there is an area where you can light a candle as well as a Wishing Wall where people come from all over to write down their wishes and find a spot to put it on the wall.

10. Ephesus

An ancient Greek city until it was taken over by the Roman Republic which was when the city flourished. It was the largest city in Roman Asia Minor and was where the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, was built. The city itself was amazing to walk through, you can still see the groves in the street where the carriages once strolled through as well as the shops along the side.

There's so much more to see in Turkey and these pictures simply don't do it justice. My recommendation for you is to get out there and see it for yourself, you won't regret it.